* how to combine gcc and binutils source into one tree
@ 2004-08-30 16:19 steve
From: steve @ 2004-08-30 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

>they have common directories libiberty,include,texinfo,config, etc....
>what is the best way to merge them?
>

>thanks in advance
>Steven

I ask this question last week, is this not the right list for this question?

* Re: how to combine gcc and binutils source into one tree
@ 2004-08-30 16:52 ` Eljay Love-Jensen
From: Eljay Love-Jensen @ 2004-08-30 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: steve, gcc-help

Hi Steve,

 >I ask this question last week, is this not the right list for this question?

This is the right list for your question.

This list is a user-community volunteer list.  Questions are posed by
anyone, worldwide, and answers are provided by anyone, worldwide.

Those who regularly answer questions are, what I'd call, self-nominated
"experts" on GCC.  There's only a few that are part of FSF or GCC
developers per se.

So if you ask a question that no one on the "panel of experts" can answer,
you end up with (in radio terms) dead air.

I know that this doesn't answer your initial question, but it does explain
why no one volunteered an answer.

I, for one, do not know the answer to your initial question.  I'm more of a
"C++ language lawyer" than a "nitty gritty internals of GCC guru".

--Eljay

* Re: how to combine gcc and binutils source into one tree
@ 2004-08-30 17:04 ` David Kramer
From: David Kramer @ 2004-08-30 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 steve@millersnet.net wrote:

> >they have common directories libiberty,include,texinfo,config, etc....
> >what is the best way to merge them?
> >

> >thanks in advance
> >Steven
>
> I ask this question last week, is this not the right list for this question?

I will give it my best shot, but I am acutally new to compiling
gcc/binutils myself.  Gaining Way Too Much experience in it in the last
week or so though.

In combining projects like this in general, if those common directories
have completely identical contents, then you can pull it off.  The way you
integrate them is by changing the master Makefile to call the new
directories too, and to make sure the install targets for the new
directories get called too.

If I were a betting man (which I'm not), I would try something devious
like:

- Untar package A into DIR1
- Untar package B into DIR2
- Copy the unique directories from package B to DIR1
- Copy the main Makefile of package B to $DIR1/Makefile.packageb
- cd $DIR1
- Configure and make package A
- Make package B using the makefile Makefile.packageb

One obstacle I fear is that their configure scripts will need different
things.

I would be fascinated to hear whether this works or not.  Let me know.

I would also be interested in hearing why you want to do this though.  TO
save 20 minutes of compile time?

DDDD   David Kramer         david@thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D  You don't usually hear "hydraulics" and "simplicity"
DK KD  in the same sentence.
DDDD                                             Cathy Rogers, Junkyard Wars

* Re: how to combine gcc and binutils source into one tree
@ 2004-08-30 18:28 ` David Kramer
From: David Kramer @ 2004-08-30 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 steve@millersnet.net wrote:

> ok that seems to be an easier way to handle things. I'm wondering which
> will work better when configuring gcc use --with-prefix=/opt/gcc-2.95.3
> and when configuring binutils use --with-prefix=/opt/binutils-2.15 this
> would keep everything contained to their own directories or gcc use
> --with-prefix=/opt/gnu and binutils use --with-prefix=/opt/gnu ..... would
> the latter work as well seeing how both gcc and binutils have common
> components?

Each package needs a different --with-prefix option.  That's the least
risky way to do it.  You can settle any conflicts with your $PATH, and you
can even try differernt gcc's with different binutil's that way.  Though
doing
--with-prefix=/opt/gnu/gcc-2.95.3
--with-prefix=/opt/gnu/binutils-2.15

wouldn't be a bad idea, so you can just tar up /opt/gnu.

--
DDDD
DK KD

* Re: how to combine gcc and binutils source into one tree
@ 2004-08-30 17:42 steve
From: steve @ 2004-08-30 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

@ 2004-08-30 17:22 ` David Kramer
From: David Kramer @ 2004-08-30 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: steve; +Cc: gcc-help

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 steve@millersnet.net wrote:

> the linux kernel docs say use gcc 2.95.3 and the latest binutils. However
> some   packages like glibc won't build with 2.95.3 so you end up with 2
> versions of gcc and 2 versions of binutils on the same system. While you
> can manage this, should you get your wires crossed it could make for some
> strange results. Perhaps I'm making the wrong approach, in the end I just
> want two seperate toolchains. Since I will be putting both versions on
> multiple machines I'm looking for a good way to package everything. I'll
> post any success in doing this.

Ah! I see.  I'm going through similar issues now.  I think the solution to
your problem is not to control how they are built, but how they are
installed.  If you configure and make them with --with-prefix=, you can
install them in different places, and have your $PATH set up one way or
another to use one version or another.

In my login scripts I have:
$ORIGPATH- the path without any devel tools, so I can always get a clean
path without duplcation.
$PATH- Set to $ORIGPATH
$GCC340PATH- Set to the bin directories for gcc 3.4.0 toolchain
$GCC333PATH- Set to the bin directories for gcc 3.3.3 toolchain
$XLCPATH- Set to the bin directories for the native xlC toolchain

To switch toolchains, I just issue a command like
export PATH=$GCC340PATH:$ORIGPATH
Or make scripts (remember to source them, not run them) or aliases to do
the same thing.

If you decide to install them under opt, use --with_prefix=/opt/gcc3.3.3
or --with_prefix==/opt/gccc3.4.0 or whatever.  To package them all up,
install all the versions on one machine, and tar up the installed versions
like "cd /opt; tar cvf /tmp/gcc_all.tar gcc*".  Everything goes under the
prefix directory, so that should work.

@ 2004-08-30 17:10 steve
From: steve @ 2004-08-30 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help