* Re: Newbie Question for Windows
       [not found] <200409170021.i8H0LHcb061239@ns2.u-strasbg.fr>
@ 2004-09-17  5:30 ` Vincent Torri
From: Vincent Torri @ 2004-09-17  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Buck-C; +Cc: gcc-help

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Buck-C wrote:

> A friend of mine that has a fair amount of C programming experience and I,
> who has no experience in programming in C, are looking for a common compiler
> on which he can program and I can learn to program in C (and all variations,
> C++ etc.)  I am familiar with the Microsoft Visual methods of programming in
> various languages and applications.  Primarily I would like to learn and use
> the C compiler/GUI on Windows, but I would like to think that what I learn
> can carry over to the Linux box as well, should I decide to program in
> Linux.  From what I understand, GCC and its various libraries are available
> for Windows.  Neither of us has ever worked with GCC and know nothing about
> it.  Below are several questions.  Thank you all in advance for your
> patience and answers.
>
> From where do I download GCC for Windows in a usable format?

You could try mingw : http://www.mingw.org There are two packages there
: mingw which provides headers and libraries and the gnu compilers, to
compile native windows programs and libraries, and msys, which provides
all the autotools, commonly used on linux.

There exist some IDE : dev-c++ (http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html) or
Visual-mingw (http://visual-mingw.sourceforge.net/) or Mingw Developper
Studio (http://www.parinya.ca/, see products)

> Is GCC a good compiler on which to learn C?

i think so. It is more close to the norm than microsoft products

> What all do I need to download and install to have a complete and usable
> compiler?

see mingw.org web site, and its mailing lists for further information.

hope this help

regards

Vincent TORRI

* RE: Newbie Question for Windows
@ 2004-09-17 13:45   ` Tony Wetmore
From: Tony Wetmore @ 2004-09-17 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buck-c; +Cc: gcc-help

> > Does GCC or any other freely licensed version have a GUI interface
> > such as MS Visual C?
>
> gcc does not.  There are various GUI interfaces which use gcc.

You may want to check out Source Navigator
(http://sourcenav.sourceforge.net/).  It's a free (GPL license)
development environment, useful for C and C++, as well as several other
languages.  I think it is a good IDE and it runs on Windows, Linux and
Unix platforms.

You will need to have the compiler and other tools installed separately,
as Source Navigator simply calls external programs (which you may
configure as needed) to build your code.  It works well with Cygwin
(http://www.cygwin.com), if you follow Ian's advice and use that project
to get GCC.

---
Tony Wetmore
Raytheon Solipsys
mailto:tony.wetmore@solipsys.com
http://www.solipsys.com

* Re: Newbie Question for Windows
       [not found] <20040917002119.21813.qmail@gossamer.airs.com>
@ 2004-09-17  1:00 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2004-09-17  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buck-c; +Cc: gcc-help

"Buck-C" <buck-c@towncorp.net> writes:

> From where do I download GCC for Windows in a usable format?

cygwin.com

> Does GCC or any other freely licensed version have a GUI interface such as
> MS Visual C?

gcc does not.  There are various GUI interfaces which use gcc.  I
don't happen to know of any freely licensed ones which run easily on
Windows, but doubtless there are some.

> Is GCC a good compiler on which to learn C?

As good as any other, I suppose.

> What all do I need to download and install to have a complete and usable
> compiler?

See cygwin.com.

> What don't I know to ask?

If you want your general programming practice to carry over to
GNU/Linux, stick to the command line.  If you only care about
knowledge of C/C++, you don't really have to use gcc on Windows.  Your
C/C++ knowledge will carry over from MS compilers to gcc reasonably
well.

You should be aware that library support is different on Windows and
GNU/Linux, and that library support is a huge part of the C/C++
languages.  There is a common subset, but there is also a vast amount
of Windows specific functionality which is not available on GNU/Linux.
This applies whether you use command line or GUI.

Ian

* Newbie Question for Windows
@ 2004-09-17  0:21 ` Buck-C