* Re: GCC Installation breaks older header files
       [not found] ` <05Kr2RdkO7jwPyf55LQdLnQ84SsdHhQpHAKsTKVbvSLVxemExLrfROS6Z6swnLayDxV7X460XVZeLNuRaldnY2UHMyLi_-Rsn2exUFUR3_Y=@proton.me>
@ 2024-05-21  8:56   ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2024-05-21  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: novaTopFlex; +Cc: gcc-bugs, gcc-help

This mailing list is for automated mail from our bugzilla database,
not for reporting bugs. It looks like you should be using the gcc-help
mailing list anyway, not reporting a bug. I've CC'd that list. Please
remove the gcc-bugs mailing list from the CC list when replying.

On 20/05/24 20:48 +0000, novaTopFlex wrote:
>For system information results as necessary:
>
>Result from uname -a​:
>
>Linux ubuntu-macbookpro 6.5.0-26-generic #26~22.04.1-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Tue Mar 12 10:22:43 UTC 2 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux​​

The system information is not very relevant, but you haven't even said
what version of GCC you're using.

>Also, there is no specific software or hardware being affected; this is a large-scale issue for developers needing to switch versions of the cross-compiler.
>
>Sent with [Proton Mail](https://proton.me/) secure email.
>
>On Monday, May 20th, 2024 at 4:45 PM, novaTopFlex <andrewkaymars@proton.me> wrote:
>
>> I am sorry to report that existing header files may have been broken by the installation of a newer version of GCC. I have continuously attempted to compile newer versions of GCC from source but my system continuously fails to compile the code. I am not sure if there is any recovery path to restore success for applications that had depended on these headers. Sorry for the interruption.

Nobody can help you with such a vague description of the problem.

What do you mean "broken"? Which header files? What happens?

What command are you running, and what errors do you get?

Where did you install the new GCC? Did you overwrite an old version,
or install to a different location? How did you configure and build
GCC?

Maybe you just need to run the mkheaders script as documented at
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-14.1.0/gcc/Fixed-Headers.html

only message in thread, other threads:[~2024-05-21  8:56 UTC | newest]