* ostream::form() replacement under gcc3.2
@ 2002-08-28 20:51 Hans Horn
From: Hans Horn @ 2002-08-28 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

List,

I just upgraded my gcc compiler from 2.95 to 3.02 and am utterly displeased
with what was done to gcc and the libs that come with it.

none of my code compiles any more (due to missing ostream::form(), R.I.P.).

reverting back to the "old" compiler (using gcc-2 instead of gcc), however,
doesn't link because refs to ostream::endl, ostream::operator<<, and such
are undefined.

Is there any replacement for ostream::form() that I can use w/o having to
edit thousands of lines of code?

Hans

* Re: ostream::form() replacement under gcc3.2
@ 2002-08-29  2:18 ` Claudio Bley
From: Claudio Bley @ 2002-08-29  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Horn; +Cc: gcc-help

    Hans> List, I just upgraded my gcc compiler from 2.95 to 3.02 and
    Hans> am utterly displeased with what was done to gcc and the libs
    Hans> that come with it.

    Hans> none of my code compiles any more (due to missing
    Hans> ostream::form(), R.I.P.).

    Hans> reverting back to the "old" compiler (using gcc-2 instead of
    Hans> gcc), however, doesn't link because refs to ostream::endl,
    Hans> ostream::operator<<, and such are undefined.

    Hans> Is there any replacement for ostream::form() that I can use
    Hans> w/o having to edit thousands of lines of code?

No, AFAIK. Why were you using ostream::form() at all? It seems to be
just a synonym for printf?!

--
Claudio Bley                                                        _
                                             ASCII ribbon campaign ( )

* Re: ostream::form() replacement under gcc3.2
@ 2002-08-29 11:59   ` Hans Horn
From: Hans Horn @ 2002-08-29 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Group,

after I was able to dig up an ostream::form() replacement I was finally able
to recompile my projects under gcc v3.2.
I'm happy with that.

What I'm not happy with at all is that the build time went up by a factor of
3, and each exe produced is between 50% and 100% bigger than the ones
produced under gcc v295 (under cygwin)!

What is going on?
Is the time and size increase due to the template orgy in the c++ libraries
I was reading about?
Does anybody know?

H.