* Tool Qualification GCC
@ 2022-03-10 15:22 Stemmle, Denis
From: Stemmle, Denis @ 2022-03-10 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help; +Cc: Saydam, Mertkan, Schwarz, Jonas

Hi all,

I work for the EDAG Engineering GmbH as a System Safety Engineer in the Functional Safety department in Weinheim (Germany).
We were asked by Luminar (contact person: Manjeet Bilra) to qualify the software tools used in the development. You were named as our contact regarding the following tool:

- GCC, V 7.5

For the tools mentioned, could you please answer the following list of questions and provide us with the relevant documentation?

Sr. No.
Checkpoints
Response
Remarks
Tools-Classfication&Qualification
1
Is the Tool classified and qualified according to ISO26262?
If yes: what are the resulting outcomes?
- Tool Confidence Level (TCL)
- Maximum ASIL
- Qualification methods

2
If not: Is the tool classified and qualified (or developed) according to a different standard?

3
What are the known malfunctions & whether there is an databank showing previous malfunctions.

4
Is the tool capable of detecting any tool failures?

5
What are the different use cases covered by the tool? Are all listed use cases evaluated as part of the tool Qualification.

6
Do we have the tool test report to confirm the integrity of the tool or confidence in the tool.

8
Is there a tool safety Manual and respective Tool Qualification Report available?

9
Does the tool provide any test suite to qualify the tool at the user end?

10
Are all previous tool defects and resulting patches, generated by the tool manufacturer, documented?
Could it be checked online on the tool manufacturers website?

11
In case there is no tool classification or qualification done at tool supplier side:
a) Are there any additional / alternate measures applied.
b) Is there a rationale to use the tool for safety critical development

Thank you in advance and best regards
Denis Stemmle

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
i.A. Denis Stemmle

Functional Safety Engineer
Abteilung Functional Safety & Cyber Security
Team Funktionale Sicherheit I
EDAG Engineering GmbH
Kompetenzcenter Weinheim
Höhnerweg 2-4 / Bau 101
69469 Weinheim
Mobil: +49 171 4930695
E-Mail: denis.stemmle@edag.com<mailto:denis.stemmle@edag.com>
www.edag.com<http://www.edag.com/>

* Re: Tool Qualification GCC
@ 2022-03-10 15:27 ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2022-03-10 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On 3/10/22 15:22, Stemmle, Denis wrote:
> - GCC, V 7.5
>
> For the tools mentioned, could you please answer the following list of questions and provide us with the relevant documentation?

You really should be asking these questions of the supplier from which
you downloaded GCC. You are talking to a list which helps people use
GCC.

--
Andrew Haley  (he/him)
Java Platform Lead Engineer

* Re: Tool Qualification GCC
@ 2022-03-11  5:28   ` Xi Ruoyao
From: Xi Ruoyao @ 2022-03-11  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stemmle,Denis, gcc-help

On Thu, 2022-03-10 at 15:27 +0000, Andrew Haley via Gcc-help wrote:
> On 3/10/22 15:22, Stemmle, Denis wrote:
> > - GCC, V 7.5
> >
> > For the tools mentioned, could you please answer the following list
> > of questions and provide us with the relevant documentation?
>
> You really should be asking these questions of the supplier from which
> you downloaded GCC. You are talking to a list which helps people use
> GCC.

Quote from the COPYING file in GCC source tree (transformed to sentence
case):

                NO WARRANTY

  11. Because the program is licensed free of charge, there is no
warranty
for the program, to the extent permitted by applicable law.  Except when
otherwise stated in writing the copyright holders and/or other parties
provide the program "as is" without warranty of any kind, either
expressed
or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose.  The entire risk
as
to the quality and performance of the program is with you.  Should the
program prove defective, you assume the cost of all necessary servicing,
repair or correction.

  12. In no event unless required by applicable law or agreed to in
writing
will any copyright holder, or any other party who may modify and/or
redistribute the program as permitted above, be liable to you for
damages,
including any general, special, incidental or consequential damages
arising
out of the use or inability to use the program (including but not
limited
to loss of data or data being rendered inaccurate or losses sustained by
you or third parties or a failure of the program to operate with any
other
programs), even if such holder or other party has been advised of the
possibility of such damages.

--
Xi Ruoyao <xry111@mengyan1223.wang>

* Re: Tool Qualification GCC
@ 2022-03-11 16:14     ` Sebastian Huber
From: Sebastian Huber @ 2022-03-11 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xi Ruoyao, Stemmle,Denis, gcc-help

On 11/03/2022 06:28, Xi Ruoyao via Gcc-help wrote:
> On Thu, 2022-03-10 at 15:27 +0000, Andrew Haley via Gcc-help wrote:
>> On 3/10/22 15:22, Stemmle, Denis wrote:
>>> - GCC, V 7.5
>>>
>>> For the tools mentioned, could you please answer the following list
>>> of questions and provide us with the relevant documentation?
>> You really should be asking these questions of the supplier from which
>> you downloaded GCC. You are talking to a list which helps people use
>> GCC.
> Quote from the COPYING file in GCC source tree (transformed to sentence
> case):
>
>                  NO WARRANTY
>
>    11. Because the program is licensed free of charge, there is no
> warranty
> for the program, to the extent permitted by applicable law.  Except when
> otherwise stated in writing the copyright holders and/or other parties
> provide the program "as is" without warranty of any kind, either
> expressed
> or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
> merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose.  The entire risk
> as
> to the quality and performance of the program is with you.  Should the
> program prove defective, you assume the cost of all necessary servicing,
> repair or correction.
>
>    12. In no event unless required by applicable law or agreed to in
> writing
> will any copyright holder, or any other party who may modify and/or
> redistribute the program as permitted above, be liable to you for
> damages,
> including any general, special, incidental or consequential damages
> arising
> out of the use or inability to use the program (including but not
> limited
> to loss of data or data being rendered inaccurate or losses sustained by
> you or third parties or a failure of the program to operate with any
> other
> programs), even if such holder or other party has been advised of the
> possibility of such damages.

No warranty from the open source community doesn't mean that GCC cannot
be used in critical environments. This is just the wrong mailing list to
ask such a list of questions.

--
embedded brains GmbH
Herr Sebastian HUBER