* Cross-compilation (many to many)...
@ 2005-09-30  7:16 Chase
From: Chase @ 2005-09-30  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

what i'm looking for are **generalized** instructions for building a
cross-compiler on **any** platform (on which gcc can run) that
targets **any** platform (targetable by gcc).

for example, let's say i build a special GCC on Linux that can create
binaries for BeOS, Windows, Max OS X, or Linux:

specialgcc --target=macosx ....

i want to sit at any one of those machines in my home or office and
build a binary that will run on any one of the other systems (or
itself of course).

... or all of them....

specialgcc --target=beos ....
specialgcc --target=windows ....
specialgcc --target=linux ....
specialgcc --target=macosx ....

4 binaries that can be copied to and run on each of the other
systems, compiled one right after the other on one Linux development
machine.

where are instructions on how to do this in a very generalized way
(not just linux to windows)?

i know that mingw is part of the solution (for targeting windows),
but i'm still unlear (even after reading through the mingw faq and
installation documentation) on the exact purpose of mingw.  why is
this needed at all?  is this unique to targeting windows, or will i
need some sort of equivelant thing for targeting BeOS or Mac OS X or
Linux from other platforms?

If all of this is in the documentation and I just missed it, please
provide a link to the exact page.

- chase

* Re: Cross-compilation (many to many)...
@ 2005-09-30 16:55 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2005-09-30 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chase; +Cc: gcc-help

Chase <xanadu@juun.com> writes:

> what i'm looking for are **generalized** instructions for building a
> cross-compiler on **any** platform (on which gcc can run) that
> targets **any** platform (targetable by gcc).

As far as I know, no such instructions exist.  There are many target
dependent details that one would have to deal with.  Very few people
actually need to target many different platforms.  That said, I
encourage you to gather the information and write those instructions
yourself.

> i know that mingw is part of the solution (for targeting windows),
> but i'm still unlear (even after reading through the mingw faq and
> installation documentation) on the exact purpose of mingw.  why is
> this needed at all?  is this unique to targeting windows, or will i
> need some sort of equivelant thing for targeting BeOS or Mac OS X or
> Linux from other platforms?

mingw is unique to Windows.  Mac OS X is Unix, and requires no unusual
handling.  I don't know enough about BeOS.

Ian