* scatter linking
@ 2004-01-17  1:10 arwong
From: arwong @ 2004-01-17  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,
I would like to know if the linker for the gcc compiler supports scatter
linking,
ie, support for multiple text and data sections.  If it does, can you provide
information on how to accomplish this for a mips processor ?
The "Options that control linking" section of the online GCC manual does
not touch on this subject.

Thanks,
Art

* Re: scatter linking
@ 2004-01-18  4:22 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2004-01-18  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arwong; +Cc: gcc-help

arwong <arwong@cisco.com> writes:

> I would like to know if the linker for the gcc compiler supports scatter
> linking,
> ie, support for multiple text and data sections.  If it does, can you provide
> information on how to accomplish this for a mips processor ?
> The "Options that control linking" section of the online GCC manual does
> not touch on this subject.

The gcc project does not supply a linker.  The GNU binutils projects
does.  For information about the GNU binutils, including the
appropriate mailing lists, see http://sources.redhat.com/binutils/.

I'm not sure precisely what you mean by scatter linking, but the GNU
linker does support multiple text and data sections, and offers
various ways to control their placement via linker scripts.  See the
GNU linker manual.

You may also be interested in the gcc options -ffunction-sections and
-fdata-sections.

Ian

* Re: scatter linking
@ 2004-01-19 15:32   ` Arthur Wong
From: Arthur Wong @ 2004-01-19 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: gcc-help

Ian,
Thanks.  I will check the references that you indicate,
especially the GNU linker manual.

Art