* Compiling assembler
@ 2004-12-01 17:02 davidw567
From: davidw567 @ 2004-12-01 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello,

I have been given the job of converting a library (DLL) from Windows to Linux.

Some of the routines in this are written in assembler, inline ( a few hundred lines).
These compile under Visual C++.

I have seen that GCC is AT&T based so the assembler code needs lots of changes.
Somebody on one of the forums thought there was an option for GCC to compile Intel based assembler, is this so and how.

David Williams
Research and Development Manager
PerkinElmer OptoElectronics
Sorbus House
Mulberry Business Park
Wokingham, RG41 2GY
United Kingdom
E-mail:- David.Williams@perkinelmer.com
Tel:-      +44 (0)118 977 3003 (switchboard)
Tel:-      +44 (0)118 936 7512 (direct)
Fax:-     +44 (0)118 977 3493

* Re: Compiling assembler
@ 2004-12-01 18:21 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2004-12-01 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: davidw567; +Cc: gcc-help

<davidw567@ntlworld.com> writes:

> Some of the routines in this are written in assembler, inline ( a few hundred lines).
> These compile under Visual C++.
>
> I have seen that GCC is AT&T based so the assembler code needs lots of changes.
> Somebody on one of the forums thought there was an option for GCC to compile Intel based assembler, is this so and how.

gcc does not look inside inline assembler code, so it doesn't
necessarily matter what syntax you use, as long as the assembler
understands it.

gcc will generate Intel assembler syntax with the -masm=intel option.

gas (the GNU assembler) understands Intel assembler syntax with the
.intel_syntax pseudo-op.

Ian