* Linking a separate library
@ 2004-11-12 23:35 Daniel Wells
From: Daniel Wells @ 2004-11-12 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I am trying to develop software for a PC-104 board.  Apparently it uses the glibc 2.2.5 libraries.  There may be other libraries a well since on there website they have a file for download called ALL.entire.libs.dirs.tar.bz2.  The manual says the following.

One problem developers run into is missing libraries. The complete set of unstripped glibc 2.2.5 libraries used by all TSLinux SBCs, can be found on the Technologic Systems website. The file is named entire.libs.dir.tar.bz2. Another common problem is mismatched library versions, between the developer's desktop and the target SBC. In these cases, the problem can be solved by explicitly linking against the unpacked entire.libs.dir.tar.bz2 tarball. The GCC manual details on how this can be accomplished.

I have not been able to find in the manual where it says how to explicitly link against the tarball.  Can you tell me how to do this or where to find the instructions?  Thanks you very much.

Daniel Wells
Brigham Young University

* Re: Linking a separate library
@ 2004-11-12 23:52 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2004-11-12 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Wells; +Cc: gcc-help

"Daniel Wells" <daniel_wells@byu.edu> writes:

> I am trying to develop software for a PC-104 board.  Apparently it uses the glibc 2.2.5 libraries.  There may be other libraries a well since on there website they have a file for download called ALL.entire.libs.dirs.tar.bz2.  The manual says the following.
>
> One problem developers run into is missing libraries. The complete set of unstripped glibc 2.2.5 libraries used by all TSLinux SBCs, can be found on the Technologic Systems website. The file is named entire.libs.dir.tar.bz2. Another common problem is mismatched library versions, between the developer's desktop and the target SBC. In these cases, the problem can be solved by explicitly linking against the unpacked entire.libs.dir.tar.bz2 tarball. The GCC manual details on how this can be accomplished.
>
> I have not been able to find in the manual where it says how to explicitly link against the tarball.  Can you tell me how to do this or where to find the instructions?  Thanks you very much.

Presumably you have to unpack the tarball and then link against
individual libraries.  GCC has no ability to link against an unpacked
tarball.

Ian