* RE: What can cause a "Memory fault"
@ 2005-03-29 17:13 Hamilton Chris-cham
From: Hamilton Chris-cham @ 2005-03-29 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'corey taylor', Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: Hamilton Chris-cham, gcc-help

I've never been able to get any compiler built on this AMD platform.  For bootstrap compiler, I've tried using another compiler I built on a 32-bit Linux platform (not this AMD platform), and I've also tried the compiler that was distributed with this AMD machine.

I haven't read a lot about bad RAM, but I had the impression that if you had bad RAM, your failures wouldn't be so predictable.  In my case, the failure happens predictably at the same spot every time (assuming I don't change the configuration).

How can I prove whether this is a memory problem?

Chris

@ 2005-03-29 21:12 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2005-03-29 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hamilton Chris-cham; +Cc: 'corey taylor', gcc-help

Hamilton Chris-cham <chris.hamilton@freescale.com> writes:

> I haven't read a lot about bad RAM, but I had the impression that if
> you had bad RAM, your failures wouldn't be so predictable.  In my
> case, the failure happens predictably at the same spot every time
> (assuming I don't change the configuration).

I agree that that seems less likely to be a RAM problem, although it
is certainly still possible.

> How can I prove whether this is a memory problem?

Run a memory tester, such as http://www.memtest86.com/  I don't know
whether that will work on an x86-64 platform, but it may.  Or AMD may
provide one with the system.

But first see if you can run the failing command manually, and have it
fail in the same way.  If you can, add -xv options to ksh to see
precisely which command is failing.  That may help.

Ian

* Re: What can cause a "Memory fault"
@ 2005-03-29 16:50       ` corey taylor
From: corey taylor @ 2005-03-29 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)