* mmx/sse builtins
@ 2006-06-28 13:19 Matthieu Godet
From: Matthieu Godet @ 2006-06-28 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,

I'm currently trying to use mmx/sse builtins with gcc version 4.1.2.

But I realised that the function __builtin_ia32_loadaps wasn't available any
more, as a few other functions.

With gcc version 3.4.2, __builtin_ia32_loadaps is available but the version
seems to have quite a lot of bugs with the builtins in general.

Is there a "good" version I could use ? Are there some people working on the
mmx/sse builtins ?

Thanks,
Matthieu

* Re: mmx/sse builtins
@ 2006-06-28 15:33 ` Brian Budge
From: Brian Budge @ 2006-06-28 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthieu Godet; +Cc: gcc-help

A most excellent question.  I'd like to add my own on top of that:  It
appears that with 4.1.x, the xmmintrin.h, pmmintrin.h, etc... are
missing.  Will they be back?

  Brian

On 6/28/06, Matthieu Godet <matthieu.godet.work@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently trying to use mmx/sse builtins with gcc version 4.1.2.
>
> But I realised that the function __builtin_ia32_loadaps wasn't available any
> more, as a few other functions.
>
> With gcc version 3.4.2, __builtin_ia32_loadaps is available but the version
> seems to have quite a lot of bugs with the builtins in general.
>
> Is there a "good" version I could use ? Are there some people working on the
> mmx/sse builtins ?
>
> Thanks,
> Matthieu

* Re: mmx/sse builtins
@ 2006-06-28 15:56   ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2006-06-28 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Budge; +Cc: Matthieu Godet, gcc-help

Brian Budge wrote:
> A most excellent question.  I'd like to add my own on top of that:  It
> appears that with 4.1.x, the xmmintrin.h, pmmintrin.h, etc... are
> missing.  Will they be back?

If you mean you've noticed the tendency of gcc programmers to use
alternates for code which requires data types from those headers when
compiled with commercial compilers, I doubt the trend will reverse.
As those headers appear in my gcc-4.2 installations, I don't think you
mean you suspect they will be removed from gcc.

* Re: mmx/sse builtins
@ 2006-06-28 16:24     ` Brian Budge
From: Brian Budge @ 2006-06-28 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tprince; +Cc: Matthieu Godet, gcc-help

err... oops.  I guess my slocate database was out of date, they're still there.

Sorry for the noise.

Anyway, Matthieu, since the *mmintrin* files seem to be sticking
around, I'd suggest you use those instead of the __builtins for
SSE/MMX.

  Brian

@ 2006-06-28 19:41       ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2006-06-28 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Budge; +Cc: tprince, Matthieu Godet, gcc-help

"Brian Budge" <brian.budge@gmail.com> writes:

> Anyway, Matthieu, since the *mmintrin* files seem to be sticking
> around, I'd suggest you use those instead of the __builtins for
> SSE/MMX.

Yes, the plan of record is to support the same set of builtins as the
Intel compiler, which means mmintrin.h, etc.  There is some
documentation available on the Intel site; there is currently,
unfortunately, no correct documentation in the gcc manual.

Ian