* __DBL_HAS_DENORM__ et al required in recent libstdc++
@ 2006-11-27 14:27 Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2006-11-27 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Builds of gcc-4.3 libstdc++ on cygwin have begun failing with these
undefined symbols for FLT,DBL,LDBL in std_limits.h.  I don't find any
explanation of it.  Is it a particular problem for cygwin, given that
the include files for LDBL are incomplete, and don't distinguish between
DBL and LDBL?  Are these values intended to reflect options such as
-ffast-math and -mfpmath which would affect use of subnormals (formerly
called denorm)?

* Re: __DBL_HAS_DENORM__ et al required in recent libstdc++
@ 2006-11-29 20:29 ` Gabriel Dos Reis
From: Gabriel Dos Reis @ 2006-11-29 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tprince; +Cc: gcc-help

Tim Prince <timothyprince@sbcglobal.net> writes:

| Builds of gcc-4.3 libstdc++ on cygwin have begun failing with these
| undefined symbols for FLT,DBL,LDBL in std_limits.h.  I don't find any
| explanation of it.

They are built-in CPP macros.

-- Gaby

* Re: __DBL_HAS_DENORM__ et al required in recent libstdc++
@ 2006-11-29 22:05   ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2006-11-29 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Dos Reis; +Cc: gcc-help

Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> Tim Prince <timothyprince@sbcglobal.net> writes:
>
> | Builds of gcc-4.3 libstdc++ on cygwin have begun failing with these
> | undefined symbols for FLT,DBL,LDBL in std_limits.h.  I don't find any
> | explanation of it.
>
> They are built-in CPP macros.
>
> -- Gaby

Thanks, but I'm not certain what that means.  I would have taken your
comment to mean that they would be included among the pre-defined
macros. I see the function builtin_define_float_constants()  and I see
the file modified date Nov 1, but I don't see any ChangeLog references
in recent months indicating what was changed then, why these macros
would suddenly become undefined a few weeks later, or suddenly become
required by libstdc++, if always undefined.  Not even any documentation
which would confirm my guess that
-D__LDBL_HAS_DENORM__=0  //(setting apparently immaterial)
-D__DBL_HAS_DENORM__=1
-D__FLT_HAS_DENORM__=1
would be the expected settings.  Are those supposed to be added to
CXXFLAGS?  Why not documented, why not done automatically?
Adding these to CXXFLAGS does avoid the complaints about those macros,
but immediately after, there is an error thrown about illegal
overloading of std::num_get in libstdc++-v3/include/bits/locale_facets.h

* Re: __DBL_HAS_DENORM__ et al required in recent libstdc++
@ 2006-11-29 23:32     ` Gabriel Dos Reis
From: Gabriel Dos Reis @ 2006-11-29 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tprince; +Cc: gcc-help

Tim Prince <timothyprince@sbcglobal.net> writes:

[...]

| Thanks, but I'm not certain what that means.  I would have taken your
| comment to mean that they would be included among the pre-defined
| macros. I see the function builtin_define_float_constants()  and I see
| the file modified date Nov 1, but I don't see any ChangeLog references

grep is your friend.

2005-12-13  Carlos O'Donell <carlos@codesourcery.com>

        * c-cppbuiltin.c (builtin_define_float_constants): Add
        fp_cast parameter, pass to builtin_define_with_hex_fp_value.
        Define __FLT_HAS_DENORM__, __DBL_HAS_DENORM__,
        __LDBL_HAS_DENORM__.
        (builtin_define_with_hex_fp_value): Use fp_cast when building
        macro.
        (c_cpp_builtins): If flag_single_precision_constant then set
        fp_cast
        to "((double)%sL)" otherwise "%s".

-- Gaby

* Re: __DBL_HAS_DENORM__ et al required in recent libstdc++
@ 2006-11-29 23:35     ` Gabriel Dos Reis
From: Gabriel Dos Reis @ 2006-11-29 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tprince; +Cc: gcc-help

Tim Prince <timothyprince@sbcglobal.net> writes:

[...]

Would you be more polite the next time and refrain from setting the
"Reply-To" field to an invalid address when you ask for assistance on
GCC list?  Thanks,

-- Gaby