* discard a weak symbol in object file
@ 2006-06-28  8:02 Wolfgang Haidinger
From: Wolfgang Haidinger @ 2006-06-28  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi all,

I tired to remove a local symbol in an .o file by the use of:
arm-elf-objcopy -N <symbol-name> infile.o outfile.o

This works fine as long as the symbol is global (not weak nor local).
Unfortunately objcopy provides just the conversion of symbols into weak or
local, but no option to convert into global.

Has anyone an idea how I can get rid of an unwanted symbol in an object
file, or how I can change it to be global?

Thanks a lot & Grüße
Wolfgang Haidinger
---
Wolfgang Haidinger
B&R Industrie-Elektronik GmbH
BU Controls, Safety
Tel: +43 (0)7748 6586 1121
eMail: wolfgang dot haidinger at br-automation dot com

* Re: discard a weak symbol in object file
@ 2006-06-28 19:37 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2006-06-28 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wolfgang Haidinger; +Cc: gcc-help

Wolfgang Haidinger <Wolfgang.Haidinger@br-automation.com> writes:

> I tired to remove a local symbol in an .o file by the use of:
> arm-elf-objcopy -N <symbol-name> infile.o outfile.o
>
> This works fine as long as the symbol is global (not weak nor local).
> Unfortunately objcopy provides just the conversion of symbols into weak or
> local, but no option to convert into global.
>
> Has anyone an idea how I can get rid of an unwanted symbol in an object
> file, or how I can change it to be global?

I don't know whether there is a way, but I do know that the place to
ask is not here, but at binutils@sourceware.org; see
http://sourceware.org/binutils/

Ian