* add new target system to gcc
@ 2004-04-13  4:38 Dmitry
From: Dmitry @ 2004-04-13  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello

Who can help me to add new target system code generator for GCC ?

I develop ultra-light virtual machine (byte-code interpreter) with stack architecture, optimized for FORTH programming language. It have no any registers, but uses two separate stacks: one only for return adress storing for CALL/RET, and second for data transfer between FORTH words (functions) and temporary data storage.

Today I have only 16-bit VFM (Virtual FORTH Machine) implementation, runs under DOS16 (written using Borland C++ 3.1 8-) and debuger under Win32.

I can write FORTH system myself for this VM, but I prefer to write programs
in C++, and need special GCC version which supports code generation for my stack machine.

Is it hard to add this target to GCC myself ? For my sorrow I have no any expiriance with compiler writings 8-(

* Re: add new target system to gcc
@ 2004-04-13 13:44 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2004-04-13 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry; +Cc: gcc-help

Dmitry <forth@km.ru> writes:

> I develop ultra-light virtual machine (byte-code interpreter) with stack architecture, optimized for FORTH programming language. It have no any registers, but uses two separate stacks: one only for return adress storing for CALL/RET, and second for data transfer between FORTH words (functions) and temporary data storage.
>
> Today I have only 16-bit VFM (Virtual FORTH Machine) implementation, runs under DOS16 (written using Borland C++ 3.1 8-) and debuger under Win32.
>
> I can write FORTH system myself for this VM, but I prefer to write programs
> in C++, and need special GCC version which supports code generation for my stack machine.
>
> Is it hard to add this target to GCC myself ? For my sorrow I have no any expiriance with compiler writings 8-(

Yes, it would be hard.  I don't think gcc currently supports any stack
machines.

Ian