* Issue building cross powerpc64-linux
@ 2012-03-23 16:31 Aurelien Buhrig
From: Aurelien Buhrig @ 2012-03-23 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,

I'm trying to build mainline to test patches on various targets. I
successfully compiled it on RHEL5 x86_64 for m68k-elf target and bootstrap.
But I cannot build it for powerpc64-linux target. It fails compiling
libgcc due to missing libc headers.

Configured with --with-newlib --enable-languages=c
--target=powerpc64-linux --with-gmp=[...] --with-mpfr=[...] --with-mpc=[...]

Any idea how I can make it work?

Thanks,
Aurélien

* Re: Issue building cross powerpc64-linux
@ 2012-03-23 18:17 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2012-03-23 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aurelien Buhrig; +Cc: gcc-help

Aurelien Buhrig <aurelien.buhrig.gcc@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm trying to build mainline to test patches on various targets. I
> successfully compiled it on RHEL5 x86_64 for m68k-elf target and bootstrap.
> But I cannot build it for powerpc64-linux target. It fails compiling
> libgcc due to missing libc headers.
>
> Configured with --with-newlib --enable-languages=c
> --target=powerpc64-linux --with-gmp=[...] --with-mpfr=[...] --with-mpc=[...]
>
> Any idea how I can make it work?

Building a cross-compiler to a GNU/Linux target is complex.  There are
various scripts out there that can help.  Try looking at
http://crosstool-ng.org/ .

Ian

* Re: Issue building cross powerpc64-linux
@ 2012-03-26 11:05   ` Aurelien Buhrig
From: Aurelien Buhrig @ 2012-03-26 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: gcc-help

> Building a cross-compiler to a GNU/Linux target is complex.  There are
> various scripts out there that can help.  Try looking at
> http://crosstool-ng.org/ .
>
> Ian

Thank you Ian you for your reply.

I looked at it, but I missed the experimental features to build powerpc64.

ct-ng seems to download GCC releases only. Is there a version to build
GCC mainline, or any svn branch? How do GCC developers build their
sandboxes for different targets? Is there a standard way to do that?

@ 2012-03-26 16:52     ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2012-03-26 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aurelien Buhrig; +Cc: gcc-help

Aurelien Buhrig <aurelien.buhrig.gcc@gmail.com> writes:

> ct-ng seems to download GCC releases only. Is there a version to build
> GCC mainline, or any svn branch? How do GCC developers build their
> sandboxes for different targets? Is there a standard way to do that?

You will have to ask the crosstool-ng developers about crosstool-ng
features.  I have never used their scripts myself.

When I need to build a cross-compiler I just do it step by step.  I
don't do it that often, and when I do there are always problems that I
have to fix.  I can't recommend that approach unless you are willing and
able to learn a lot about how all the various tools are configured and
built.

Ian