* Do wcout and wcin work with GCC?
@ 2003-08-31 18:28 Alex J. Dam
From: Alex J. Dam @ 2003-08-31 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

  Hi,

  I would like to use C++ as my primary language for computer
programming, but I'm having some problems dealing with
multi-byte strings in g++.
  How can I make wcin and wcout work? Whenever I read a string
 from the console the string is truncated at the first non-ASCII
character. When I'm writing to wcout, the string is also
truncated.
  I've tried imbue(), setlocale(), etc. but it didn't solve my
problem.
  My locale is pt_BR.UTF-8, my gcc and g++ are version 3.3.1.
  EXAMPLE:

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <locale>

using namespace std;

int main(){
   locale l("pt_BR.UTF-8");
   setlocale(LC_ALL, "pt_BR.UTF-8");
   locale::global(l);
   wcout.imbue(l);
   wcin.imbue(l);
   wstring s;
   wcin >> s;
   wcout << s.length() << endl;
}

Some output:
$ ./prog
arboris
7
$ ./prog
árvore
0

  Any help?

  Alex

* Re: Do wcout and wcin work with GCC?
@ 2003-09-05  2:10   ` Alex J. Dam
From: Alex J. Dam @ 2003-09-05  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lrtaylor, gcc-help

   OK, you guys need not tell me why it's not working on my system.
   I just wish to know whether it should work or if it's not working
only on my system.

   thanks

   Alex

@ 2003-09-02 19:55 ` Alex J. Dam