* libstdc++ requiring '.' on aix?
@ 2001-02-15 10:28 Robert A Nesius
From: Robert A Nesius @ 2001-02-15 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

While working on building aspell on aix with gcc 2.95.2, I ran
into a problem.  After generating an aspell binary, running the
binary resulted in the following.

[pdx206]-> src 47> ./aspell
Could not load program ./aspell
Could not load library .
Error was: Permission denied

After verifying the error message seemed to be coming from the
loader, I started examining the libraries aspell depended on,
and discovered the following in libstdc++.

[pdx206]-> ~ 1> dump -H /usr/intel/pkgs/gcc/2.95.2/lib/gcc-lib/rs6000-ibm-aix4.1.4.0/2.95.2/libstdc++.a

/usr/intel/pkgs/gcc/2.95.2/lib/gcc-lib/rs6000-ibm-aix4.1.4.0/2.95.2/libstdc++.a:

                        ***Loader Section***
                      Loader Header Information
VERSION#         #SYMtableENT     #RELOCent        LENidSTR
0x00000001       0x000004f0       0x00000efb       0x00000052

#IMPfilID        OFFidSTR         LENstrTBL        OFFstrTBL
0x00000003       0x00012a64       0x0000a7b0       0x00012ab6

                        ***Import File Strings***
INDEX  PATH                          BASE                MEMBER
0      /fs3/comp.apps_build.1/gcc-2.95.2/aix-4.1.4/gcc:/usr/lib:/lib
1                                    libc.a              shr.o
2                                    .

That's odd.  libstdc++ includes '.'?

Has anyone seen this problem before on AIX?  I haven't seen it mentioned
in the build notes anywhere.

-Rob

--
#include <sig.h>
Robert Nesius             rnesius@ichips.intel.com    503.712.2181

* Re: libstdc++ requiring '.' on aix?
@ 2001-02-15 12:59 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-02-15 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert A Nesius; +Cc: gcc-help

On Feb 15, 2001, Robert A Nesius <rnesius@ichips.intel.com> wrote:

> [pdx206]-> src 47> ./aspell
> Could not load program ./aspell
> Could not load library .
> Error was: Permission denied

<aol>me too</aol>

> 1                                    libc.a              shr.o
> 2                                    .

> That's odd.  libstdc++ includes '.'?

> Has anyone seen this problem before on AIX?

Yep.  Every time I used gcc -shared to create a shared library that
depended on another shared library.

GCC would generate an import file starting with `#! .'.  This would
cause the generated library to depend on `.'.  Ugh!

This is fixed in the development sources.  GCC 3.0 will be the first
release of GCC to properly support the construction of shared
libraries on AIX 4.1.

* Re: libstdc++ requiring '.' on aix?
@ 2001-02-15 14:47   ` Robert A Nesius
From: Robert A Nesius @ 2001-02-15 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Oliva; +Cc: gcc-help

So if I check out the top of the CVS tree I should get
something that works for shared libs on AIX?

-Rob

--

@ 2001-02-16 10:02     ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-02-16 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert A Nesius; +Cc: gcc-help

On Feb 15, 2001, Robert A Nesius <rnesius@ichips.intel.com> wrote:

> So if I check out the top of the CVS tree I should get
> something that works for shared libs on AIX?

That's what I hope.  The latest snapshot worked for me.

* Re: libstdc++ requiring '.' on aix?
@ 2001-04-29 19:01   ` Robert A Nesius
From: Robert A Nesius @ 2001-04-29 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Oliva; +Cc: gcc-help

I've confirmed the problem below to be fixed in gcc 2.95.3 on AIX 4.1.4!