* libgcc#.a  headache
@ 2001-01-04 13:15 Birchmier, Masaki
From: Birchmier, Masaki @ 2001-01-04 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org'

Hi,
I'm building a cross compiler and I need to supply the libgcc1.a and libgcc2.a  assembler so I went to the target system to see if I could find these, all It has was libgcc.a

Can you tell me what the difference between
libgcc1.a
libgcc2.a
libgcc.a

libgcc.a is not listed in the documentation?    Can I use libgcc.a ?

Masaki

* Re: libgcc#.a  headache
@ 2001-01-04 13:21 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-01-04 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Birchmier, Masaki; +Cc: 'gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org'

On Jan  4, 2001, "Birchmier, Masaki" <Masaki.Birchier@PSS.Boeing.com> wrote:

> I'm building a cross compiler and I need to supply the libgcc1.a

libgcc1.a is to become part of libgcc.a, and it contains the
implementation of some operations that aren't available in the
hardware and that GCC doesn't know how to implement by itself.
libgcc2.a contains those that aren't available in the hardware but for
which there are standard implementations available, plus any utility
functions that will eventually become part of libgcc.a.

So, if you're building a cross compiler and GCC says you must provide
libgcc1.a, then the only way round is to use an existing compiler for
that platform to create libgcc1.a.

* RE: libgcc#.a  headache
@ 2001-01-05  5:54 David Korn
From: David Korn @ 2001-01-05  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Alexandre Oliva', Birchmier, Masaki
>> I'm building a cross compiler and I need to supply the libgcc1.a
>
>libgcc1.a is to become part of libgcc.a, and it contains the
>implementation of some operations that aren't available in the
>hardware and that GCC doesn't know how to implement by itself.
>libgcc2.a contains those that aren't available in the hardware but for
>which there are standard implementations available, plus any utility
>functions that will eventually become part of libgcc.a.
>
>So, if you're building a cross compiler and GCC says you must provide
>libgcc1.a, then the only way round is to use an existing compiler for
>that platform to create libgcc1.a.

  Since the target system already has a libgcc.a, is it possible that
Masaki could get a list of the functions/modules that are needed for
libgcc1.a, extract those from his existing libgcc, and make a new archive
with them?  At least some of those functions (long long math, for example)
ought to work fine as long as the ABI calling convention in use is
compatible between the two gcc versions.

       DaveK
--
The Boulder Pledge: "Under no circumstances will I ever purchase anything
offered to me as the result of an unsolicited email message. Nor will I

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com