* object files portability issues
@ 2000-02-01  0:17 Ushakov, Sergey N.
From: Ushakov, Sergey N. @ 2000-02-01  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Hello,

can anyone tell what precautions should be taken when an
application-specific library is compiled with gcc on one machine, and an
application is linked and run on another machine?

Our exact problem is:

- an application-specific library is compiled on a linux machine
- a complete application being linked with this library on this machine runs
ok
- the object library and the application source are transferred to another
linux machine
- both machines are Intel, linux versions slightly differ
- the application prepared on the first machine and linked as static runs on
the second machine ok
- the application being compiled on the second machine and linked there with
the library prepared on the first machine misbehaves or crashes

What may be the reason? Are object codes really portable? What should one
take into consideration to achieve portability?

Thanks,
Sergey Ushakov

* Re: object files portability issues
@ 2000-02-01 18:04 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2000-02-01 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ushakov; +Cc: help-gcc

On Feb  1, 2000, "Ushakov, Sergey N." <ushakov@baltbank.ru> wrote:

> - the application being compiled on the second machine and linked there with
> the library prepared on the first machine misbehaves or crashes

> What may be the reason?

Different versions of glibc may be one reason.

--
Alexandre Oliva http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva IC-Unicamp, Bra[sz]il
oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br,guarana.{org,com}} aoliva@{acm,computer}.org

* Re: object files portability issues