* Beginning programmer
@ 2001-01-25  9:50 matthew.garn
From: matthew.garn @ 2001-01-25  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I am just getting started as a C++ programmer and am completely unfamiliar
with g++.  Could you give me a link or a copy of some documentation that
explains, in detail, compiling and linking a source code file.   I am
confused about the parameters that I should use when compiling and linking.
If you have any documentation explaining make file configurations that
would be great too.   I would appreciate any help you can offer.

Thank you
Matthew Garn

* Re: Beginning programmer
@ 2001-01-25 12:59 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-01-25 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: matthew.garn; +Cc: gcc-help

On Jan 25, 2001, matthew.garn@tonservices.com wrote:

> Could you give me a link or a copy of some documentation that
> explains, in detail, compiling and linking a source code file.

Try to create a file named foo.cc or foo.C, then use `make foo.o' to
compile it, and `make foo' to link.  Look at the commands `make'
prints and learn from them.

g++ --help will list all the available command-line options, and the
GCC manual will give you all the gory details.

You may also want to have a look at some book on Unix programming.
GCC's interface is not very different from any Unix-based compiler, at
least on the surface :-)

* RE: Beginning programmer
@ 2001-01-25 12:42 Kazu Hirata
From: Kazu Hirata @ 2001-01-25 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)