* Problem configuring
@ 2001-01-20 22:51 Truman Kimery
From: Truman Kimery @ 2001-01-20 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I'm running Linux on a pentium class processor (AMD K6-2 to be exact). I
dunno if processor type actually matters but...
       This is my problem. I'm in /usr/gcc (where I want to set it up to)
and type /usr/gcc-2.95.2/configure and it tells me config.guess can not
figure out the host name so I type in /usr/gcc-2.95.2/configure
--host=localhost.localdomain and it says: /usr/gcc-2.95.2/configure: cc:
command not found *** the command 'cc -o conftest -g conftest.c' failed ***
you must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler. I don't have
a compiler that I know on my computer to set it to and I don't know how to
set it anyway. Do you know why this happens and how I can deal with it to
get the GCC compiler working on my computer?

Thanks,
Manji

* RE: Problem configuring
@ 2001-01-21  0:31 ` Puneet Singhal
From: Puneet Singhal @ 2001-01-21  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: manji_51, gcc-help

if you are running Linux u should be having a version of gcc. Just set
CC=%path to gcc%; export CC
The reason is that it needs a C compiler to compile the GCC sources.
As far as the host is concerned, it is the OS *not* the network host. There
is a list of hosts in the file config.guess. give the most appropriate
according to the OS u r running.
Puneet Singhal
Free Software Evangelist

WORK:

Opus Software Solutions
Mayfair Towers,
Shivajinagar,
Pune 411005
Maharashtra, India.

Phone : 0091 20 551 2092/1093
fax   : 0091 20 551 2808

http://www.opussoft.com

puneet@opussoft.com
In Romance with UNIX....

				-Anonymous
The Boulder Pledge: "Under no circumstances will I ever purchase anything
offered to me as the result of an unsolicited email message. Nor will I
forward chain letters, petitions, mass mailings, or virus warnings to large
numbers of others. This is my contribution to the survival of the online
community."

[...]
:)
:) Thanks,
:) Manji
:) _________________________________________________________________
:)

* Re: Problem configuring
@ 2001-01-21 13:19 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-01-21 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: manji_51; +Cc: gcc-help

On Jan 21, 2001, "Truman Kimery" <manji_51@hotmail.com> wrote:

>        This is my problem. I'm in /usr/gcc (where I want to set it up
> to)

Better use a build directory different from the installation
directory, otherwise it won't be easy to clean the build tree without
messing up with the installation.

> /usr/gcc-2.95.2/configure --host=localhost.localdomain and it says:

--host is a triplet that should describe the OS and architecture of
the machine on which you're building, not the name of the machine.  If
you're not doing a cross build, config.guess should be able to figure
it out by itself, as long as you set CC to a working compiler.

> I don't have a compiler that I know
> on my computer to set it to and I don't know how to set it anyway.

Then you won't be able to build GCC without getting a pre-compiled
compiler.