* Help building gcc 2.97 (Snapsot 20010205)
@ 2001-02-15 15:19 Ramanand V Mandayam
From: Ramanand V Mandayam @ 2001-02-15 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help; +Cc: Ramanand V Mandayam

Hello,

I have a project wherein I need to parse C++ programs that heavily use
anonymous structs inside other structs and unions (as in the
driver modules provided by you-know-who). After struggline for about a
week trying to modify gcc 2.95.2 to address this scenario, I found out
that gcc 2.97 and above has addressed and solved this problem.

Since I prefer to work with existing gcc software, I went ahead and
downloaded the 20010205 snapshot of gcc 2.97 and tried building it.
I immediately ran into some problems with the makefile not being able
to compile the libstdc++v3. After going through the installation manual
a couple of times I noticed that I absolutely need an installation of
gcc 2.96 (?) or better to be able to get gcc 2.97 to even compile. Since I
only have an installed gcc version of 2.95, (and since 2.96 is also considered
to be an experimental snapshot), what is my best bet at solving this problem.

I am willing to download and temporarily install a previous snapshot of
2.97 or 2.96 if I am somewhat guaranteed that it will get me where I want
to be -- ie. compile and build gcc 2.97.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

Ramanand

* Re: Help building gcc 2.97 (Snapsot 20010205)
@ 2001-02-16 10:36 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-02-16 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ramanand V Mandayam; +Cc: gcc-help

On Feb 15, 2001, Ramanand V Mandayam <mandayrv@nb.conexant.com> wrote:

> I immediately ran into some problems with the makefile not being able
> to compile the libstdc++v3.

Without more details, it's really hard to tell what the problem is.

> After going through the installation manual
> a couple of times I noticed that I absolutely need an installation of
> gcc 2.96 (?) or better to be able to get gcc 2.97 to even compile.

From where did you get this idea?  Oh, from the old libstdc++-v3
installation manual, from the time in which it was still a separate
project?  That's no longer true.  When you build libstdc++-v3 as part
of the GCC build, it'll use the new version of GCC.