* RE: GAS installation for PowerPC
@ 2001-01-17  4:32 David Korn
From: David Korn @ 2001-01-17  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'debabrata@macmetit.com'; +Cc: gcc-help

>-----Original Message-----
>From: Debabrata Sengupta [ mailto:debabrata@macmetit.com ]
>Sent: 15 January 2001 12:55

  Hi again Debabrata,  Sorry I didn't reply sooner but your message got
lost in my in-tray.

>Thanks for your suggestion and also for spending your valuable time to
>answer our query. I tried to configure it for other procesor such
>PowerPC, SH4. I tried to configure using the following command:
>
>./configure --host=sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1        --target=powerpc
>make all
>make install
>
>./configure --host=sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1        --target=SH4
>make all
>make install
>
>But the s/w is installed for target processor being set as host. Can you
>please suggest how to configure so that "gas" can be configured for
>PowerPC, SH4 etc.

  Aha! The problem here is that you haven't given valid choices to the
--target option.  For --target, you need to give a string that follows the
pattern cpu-manufacturer-os or just cpu-architecture.  Examples include

  sparc-sun-solaris    -- cpu is sparc, m'fr is sun, O/S solaris
  powerpc-wrs-vxworks  -- PPc cpu, using VxWorks O/S from WRS.
  m68k-coff            -- 68k cpu, no os, COFF object file format
  powerpc-eabi         -- PPc cpu, EABI architecture but no particular os.
  sh-elf               -- sh series cpu, ELF object file format.

  You haven't told us yet what kind of target hardware you want the
compiler to work with, but powerpc-eabi and sh-elf would be good choices
to try.  Are you working with embedded hardware?  Do you have an O/S on
your target board?

        DaveK
--
The Boulder Pledge: "Under no circumstances will I ever purchase anything
offered to me as the result of an unsolicited email message. Nor will I

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com

* Re: GAS installation for PowerPC
@ 2001-01-19  4:05 ` Debabrata Sengupta
From: Debabrata Sengupta @ 2001-01-19  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Korn; +Cc: gcc-help

Hi David,

I tried with --target=powerpc-eabi. But the program terminates stating
that ld failed. The messages says ld doesn't have support for target.
Same is the case with sh-elf. Can you help us on this.

Thanks & regards,

Debabrata

@ 2001-01-19  7:26   ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-01-19  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: debabrata; +Cc: David Korn, gcc-help

On Jan 19, 2001, Debabrata Sengupta <debabrata@macmetit.com> wrote:

> I tried with --target=powerpc-eabi. But the program terminates stating
> that ld failed. The messages says ld doesn't have support for target.
> Same is the case with sh-elf.

You must build binutils for target before (or along with) GCC.

* RE: GAS installation for PowerPC
@ 2001-01-19  4:24 David Korn
From: David Korn @ 2001-01-19  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'debabrata@macmetit.com'; +Cc: gcc-help

>Hi David,
>
>I tried with --target=powerpc-eabi. But the program terminates stating
>that ld failed. The messages says ld doesn't have support for target.
>Same is the case with sh-elf. Can you help us on this.
>
>Thanks & regards,
>
>Debabrata

   Hi Debabrata,

 It ought to work.  I just tried it here with  --target=powerpc-eabi, and
it completed configuring fine.  Here's some things to check:

   1)  Have you got recent binutils (2.10.something is the latest) source?
   2)  Do you have native binutils and compiler installed?

  If neither of these sort things out for you, try the configure again and
add the '-v' option for verbose output, then email me the config.log file
(send it to me, not the list) and I'll take a look through it for you.

        DaveK
--

@ 2001-01-15  4:42 ` Debabrata Sengupta
From: Debabrata Sengupta @ 2001-01-15  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Korn; +Cc: gcc-help

Hi Korn,

Thanks for your suggestion and also for spending your valuable time to
answer our query. I tried to configure it for other procesor such
PowerPC, SH4. I tried to configure using the following command:

./configure --host=sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1        --target=powerpc
make all
make install

./configure --host=sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1        --target=SH4
make all
make install

But the s/w is installed for target processor being set as host. Can you
please suggest how to configure so that "gas" can be configured for
PowerPC, SH4 etc.

Thanking you,

Yours sincerely,

Debabrata

@ 2001-01-09  4:11 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-01-09  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: debabrata; +Cc: gcc-help

On Jan  9, 2001, Debabrata Sengupta <debabrata@macmetit.com> wrote:

> I tried to install GAS using ./configure for sparc sunos as host and for
> all target processors, more specifically for SPARC, PowerPC and SH4. But
> after installation I found that the gas has been installed for SPARC
> processor and targ-cpu.h file has only include for sparc processor.

This mailing list is about GCC.  GAS is part of a separate project,
namely, GNU binutils.

That said, I don't think GAS supports multiple target processors.  You
must build one separate assembler for each target.

> We found that gcc has not been installed. Should we have to install it
> separately?

Assuming you have followed the installation instructions, one
possibility is that GCC failed to build because the assembler wasn't
appropriate for the target architecture you had enabled.

* RE: GAS installation for PowerPC
@ 2001-01-09  3:50 David Korn
From: David Korn @ 2001-01-09  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help; +Cc: 'debabrata@macmetit.com'

@ 2001-01-09  3:44 Debabrata Sengupta
From: Debabrata Sengupta @ 2001-01-09  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello,

I tried to install GAS using ./configure for sparc sunos as host and for
all target processors, more specifically for SPARC, PowerPC and SH4. But
after installation I found that the gas has been installed for SPARC
processor and targ-cpu.h file has only include for sparc processor. Can
you please advise how to install the gas for processors such as SPARC
PowerPC MPC 823, and SH4.

We found that gcc has not been installed. Should we have to install it
separately?

Thank you,

Debabrata Sengupta