* 2.95.2 for the ia64?
@ 2001-02-21 11:58 David Mehringer
From: David Mehringer @ 2001-02-21 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help; +Cc: David Mehringer

Hi,
We are trying to port our package which is written in C, C++, and fortran to
Intel's IA64 platform under Linux.  We use gcc to build our package on
Solaris and Linux-ix86, and we'd like to use it on the ia64.  The problem is
that the ia64 system people have installed gcc 2.96.  We cannot use this
development snapshot, so I was wondering if it is possible to build gcc 2.95
on the ai64, and if so, will it write 64 bit code.  I've downloaded the 2.95
sources, but configure dies immediately complaining that

Invalid configuration `ia64-unknown-linux-gnu': machine `ia64-unknown' not
recognized

So, if gcc 2.95 can be built for the IA64, how is that done?

Thanks

--
David Mehringer, Ph.D.            University of Illinois
dmehring@astro.uiuc.edu           National Center for Supercomputing

* Re: 2.95.2 for the ia64?
@ 2001-02-21 14:25 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-02-21 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Mehringer; +Cc: gcc-help

On Feb 21, 2001, David Mehringer <dmehring@astro.uiuc.edu> wrote:

> The problem is that the ia64 system people have installed gcc 2.96.

Probably because that's the first version of GCC that supports ia64.
That's one of the reasons why Red Hat Linux 7 ships this version of
GCC, instead of 2.95.2.

> So, if gcc 2.95 can be built for the IA64, how is that done?

It can't.