* Base compiler to install gcc?
@ 2000-01-07  7:55 lfw57
From: lfw57 @ 2000-01-07  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

I'm trying to configure/install gcc so I can later
install Apache. When running configure, I
originally received the error "you must set the
environment variable CC to a working compiler".
After research on this forum I set the environment
variable CC=gcc, and am now receiving the same
error.

I now understand that to install gcc, you need a
"base" compiler, which this system does not have.
I'm running Solaris 2.5.

Can someone tell me exactly what I need to install
and where I can get it?

Thanks.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Base compiler to install gcc?
@ 2000-01-07 13:08 ` Brandon Metcalf
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Brandon Metcalf @ 2000-01-07 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

lfw57@my-deja.com wrote:

> I'm trying to configure/install gcc so I can later
> install Apache. When running configure, I
> originally received the error "you must set the
> environment variable CC to a working compiler".
> After research on this forum I set the environment
> variable CC=gcc, and am now receiving the same
> error.
>
> I now understand that to install gcc, you need a
> "base" compiler, which this system does not have.
> I'm running Solaris 2.5.
>
> Can someone tell me exactly what I need to install
> and where I can get it?

You need to have a c compiler to compile gcc.  There are prebuilt
versions of gcc available.  I don't recall off hand where to get one,
but you can probably find pointers at www.gnu.org.  You should be able
to find a prebuilt version in the pkg format for solaris.

Brandon

* Re: Base compiler to install gcc?
@ 2000-01-07 13:44   ` James Thompson
From: James Thompson @ 2000-01-07 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

> You need to have a c compiler to compile gcc.  There are prebuilt
> versions of gcc available.  I don't recall off hand where to get one,
> but you can probably find pointers at www.gnu.org.  You should be able
> to find a prebuilt version in the pkg format for solaris.

Prebuilt gcc available at http://www.sunfreeware.com/

->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->---<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<
James Thompson    138 Cardwell Hall  Manhattan, Ks   66506    785-532-0561
Kansas State University                          Department of Mathematics
->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->---<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<

* Re: Base compiler to install gcc?
@ 2000-01-07 16:49   ` Paul D. Smith
From: Paul D. Smith @ 2000-01-07 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

%% Brandon Metcalf <bmetcalf@nortelnetworks.com> writes:

  bm> lfw57@my-deja.com wrote:

  >> I now understand that to install gcc, you need a
  >> "base" compiler, which this system does not have.
  >> I'm running Solaris 2.5.

You can't compile a program without a compiler--even if the program you
want to compile is itself a compiler! :)

  >> Can someone tell me exactly what I need to install
  >> and where I can get it?

  bm> You need to have a c compiler to compile gcc.  There are prebuilt
  bm> versions of gcc available.  I don't recall off hand where to get
  bm> one, but you can probably find pointers at www.gnu.org.

The FSF sells CD's with fully-built versions of GNU programs.  It's one
way to support the FSF.

  bm> You should be able to find a prebuilt version in the pkg format
  bm> for solaris.

Try http://www.sunfreeware.com for example.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@gnu.org>          Find some GNU make tips at:
 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.ultranet.com/~pauld/gmake/