* Error while "make" gcc3.0
@ 2004-04-23 23:47 prashant kulkarni
From: prashant kulkarni @ 2004-04-23 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,
I am getting error while making the gcc compiler.

My system is AIX . Please help..

Target "all" is up to date.
        gcc  -DIN_GCC     -g -O2 -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wtraditional   -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -o
cc1plus  cp/call.o cp/decl.o cp/errfn.o cp/expr.o cp/pt.o cp/typeck2.o
cp/class.o cp/decl2.o cp/error.o cp/lex.o cp/parse.o cp/ptree.o cp/rtti.o
cp/spew.o cp/typeck.o cp/cvt.o cp/except.o cp/friend.o cp/init.o cp/method.o
  cp/search.o cp/semantics.o cp/tree.o cp/xref.o cp/repo.o cp/dump.o
cp/optimize.o cp/mangle.o c-common.o c-format.o c-pragma.o c-semantics.o
c-lex.o c-dump.o  toplev.o libbackend.a libcpp.a obstack.o alloca.o
./intl/libintl.a     -lld ../libiberty/libiberty.a
collect2: ld returned 12 exit status
ld: 0711-781 ERROR: TOC overflow. TOC size: 74468       Maximum size: 65536
make: The error code from the last command is 1.

Stop.
make: The error code from the last command is 2.

Deals can't get any better. Products at Lowest Prices.
http://go.msnserver.com/IN/47508.asp Only on baazee.com

* Re: Error while "make" gcc3.0
@ 2004-04-24  1:41 ` llewelly
From: llewelly @ 2004-04-24  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: prashant kulkarni; +Cc: gcc-help

"prashant kulkarni" <tcs_prashant@hotmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I am getting error while making the gcc compiler.
>
> My system is AIX . Please help..

What version AIX? I'm told 4.x and 5.x are quite different.

    which I found by searching gcc.gnu.org, suggests you 'add
    "-Wl,-bbigtoc" to LDFLAGS' . But it is an old message.

3.0 is an old version of gcc. GCC 3.3.3 is newer, may work better, and
    has been bootstrapped on aix 4.1.5, 4.3.3, 5.1.0, and 5.2.0 . (See
    gcc.gnu.org/buildstat.html .

http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#*-ibm-aix* gives
platform-specific notes for building on aix. You should read it
    carefully.

* Re: Error while "make" gcc3.0
@ 2004-04-25 16:52 ` llewelly
From: llewelly @ 2004-04-25 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: prashant kulkarni; +Cc: gcc-help

"prashant kulkarni" <tcs_prashant@hotmail.com> writes:

> Hi ,
> I really appreciate the reply. I am using AIX 4.2.1.0. My make broke
> inbetween but created gcc and other binaries. I have started with make
> install and lets see if I can compile other libs.

If 'make bootstrap' did not complete successfully, do not proceed with
    'make install'. If you do, you are likely to end up with a gcc
    which works for trivial cases, but has hard to understand
    misbehavior in complex cases. You do not want to go there.

Instead, try some configure options which may eliminate problem parts
    of GCC, like --enable-languages=c,c++ , which tells configure that
    only C and C++ should be built, leaving out java and fortran,
    which do not build on some systems.

> I am planning to compile opensaml libs which are in C++.  I am not
> sure if it will work but the compiler is really taking huge time to
> make.
>
> Should I go for higher version of gcc is i found some error while
> compiling other dependancies.

I reccomend gcc 3.3.3 .

* Re: Error while "make" gcc3.0
@ 2004-04-25  1:11 prashant kulkarni
From: prashant kulkarni @ 2004-04-25  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: llewelly; +Cc: gcc-help

Hi ,
I really appreciate the reply. I am using AIX 4.2.1.0. My make broke
inbetween but created gcc and other binaries. I have started with make
install and lets see if I can compile other libs.
I am planning to compile opensaml libs which are in C++.  I am not sure if
it will work but the compiler is really taking huge time to make.

Should I go for higher version of gcc is i found some error while compiling
other dependancies.

Again thanks for ur repply.

Prashant

>From: llewelly@xmission.com
>To: "prashant kulkarni" <tcs_prashant@hotmail.com>
>CC: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
>Subject: Re: Error while "make" gcc3.0
>Date: 23 Apr 2004 19:41:53 -0600
>
>"prashant kulkarni" <tcs_prashant@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> > I am getting error while making the gcc compiler.
> >
> > My system is AIX . Please help..
>
>What version AIX? I'm told 4.x and 5.x are quite different.

>     which I found by searching gcc.gnu.org, suggests you 'add
>     "-Wl,-bbigtoc" to LDFLAGS' . But it is an old message.
>
>3.0 is an old version of gcc. GCC 3.3.3 is newer, may work better, and
>     has been bootstrapped on aix 4.1.5, 4.3.3, 5.1.0, and 5.2.0 . (See
>     gcc.gnu.org/buildstat.html .
>
>http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#*-ibm-aix* gives
>platform-specific notes for building on aix. You should read it
>     carefully.

Pay Cash on delivery of  products.  http://go.msnserver.com/IN/47509.asp
Free Registration on Baazee.com