* Resolving incompatibility in libc.
       [not found] <1083009241.25190.ezmlm@gcc.gnu.org>
@ 2004-04-26 19:57 ` Amit Bhatia
From: Amit Bhatia @ 2004-04-26 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 788 bytes --]

Hello All.
 I am sorry to post this query on the possibly wrong
list. But I think some of you might be aware of how to
resolve it hence..

 I have a c++ code executable that has been compiled
using g++ 2.95.3 that comes with Mandrake 7.1.
 I am using redhat 9.0 with gcc 3.2 and hence a
different version of libc as well.
  I don't have the source code. All I have is the
executable.
 As soon as I try to run this executable, it gives
segmentation fault.

Does any one know how to bypass this problem. I can't
get the source code.
Hence recompiling it is ruled out.

I would appreciate any help/advice in this regard.

thanks,
amit.

http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash

* Re: Resolving incompatibility in libc.
@ 2004-04-26 20:20   ` llewelly
From: llewelly @ 2004-04-26 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amit Bhatia; +Cc: gcc-help

Amit Bhatia <abhatia_iitk@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hello All.
>  I am sorry to post this query on the possibly wrong
> list. But I think some of you might be aware of how to
> resolve it hence..
>
>  I have a c++ code executable that has been compiled
> using g++ 2.95.3 that comes with Mandrake 7.1.
>  I am using redhat 9.0 with gcc 3.2 and hence a
> different version of libc as well.
>   I don't have the source code. All I have is the
> executable.
>  As soon as I try to run this executable, it gives
> segmentation fault.
>
> Does any one know how to bypass this problem. I can't
> get the source code.
> Hence recompiling it is ruled out.
[snip]

The g++ 2.95.x and 3.2.x libstdc++ librares are not binary compatible.

You must get a shared binary libstdc++ built from gcc 2.95.3, and
    install it somewhere where your dynamci linker will find it.

One way to do this would be to downloaded and build gcc 2.95.3 from
    source, and put its lib directory in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Make sure you build 2.95.3 with a different prefix than 3.2 uses.