* compiling an old c++ program: where is String.h ???
@ 2004-04-15 15:55 Andreas K. Huettel
From: Andreas K. Huettel @ 2004-04-15 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

* Re: compiling an old c++ program: where is String.h ???
@ 2004-04-15 17:02 ` llewelly
From: llewelly @ 2004-04-15 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas K. Huettel; +Cc: gcc-help

"Andreas K. Huettel" <Andreas.Huettel@Physik.Uni-Muenchen.DE> writes:

> [please cc, I am not on the list]
>
> Dear list,
>
> I am trying to compile an old c++ program (last maintained using SuSE
> Linux 7.3, gcc 2.95.3) on a recent linux installation (SuSE 9.0, gcc 3.3.1
> (SuSE Linux)).
>
> However, I cannot find anywhere any reference to the header file
> "String.h" (yes, uppercase) that seems to have been included earlier in
> a libgpp.rpm, part of the gcc package.
[snip]

If this is the old, long-unmaintained libg++, I think you are out of
    luck.

You can still get libg++ from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/libg++/ , but it
    does not compile with current gcc.

I suggest you try contacting your linux distro insearch of a
    libgpp.src.rpm, or whatever they call the source rpm.

* Re: compiling an old c++ program: where is String.h ???
@ 2004-04-15 17:19   ` Andreas K. Huettel
From: Andreas K. Huettel @ 2004-04-15 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: llewelly; +Cc: gcc-help

* Re: compiling an old c++ program: where is String.h ???
@ 2004-04-15 17:36     ` llewelly
From: llewelly @ 2004-04-15 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas K. Huettel; +Cc: gcc-help

"Andreas K. Huettel" <Andreas.Huettel@Physik.Uni-Muenchen.DE> writes:

> #]> However, I cannot find anywhere any reference to the header file
> #]> "String.h" (yes, uppercase) that seems to have been included earlier in
> #]> a libgpp.rpm, part of the gcc package.
> #][snip]
> #]
> #]If this is the old, long-unmaintained libg++, I think you are out of
> #]    luck.
> #]
> #]You can still get libg++ from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/libg++/ , but it
> #]    does not compile with current gcc.
> #]
> #]I suggest you try contacting your linux distro insearch of a
> #]    libgpp.src.rpm, or whatever they call the source rpm.
> #]
>
> Thanks, I'll try to get something. However as far as I can see, the last
> time it was included, the libgpp rpm was built from the gcc source rpm (in
> addition to gcc), so this may not work.
>
> Since I might have to rewrite a lot, do you (or anybody else on this list)
> accidentally know any good introductory C++ book that gives a decent
> description on how to work with strings (in a way that won't be obsolete
> soon ;-) ?  I mean, for somebody who has done some programming, but does
> not have much C++ knowledge?

I suggest Koenig and Moo's _Accelerated C++_ . It isn't just about
    strings, however; it teaches basic C++ , with the assumption that
    the reader knows no C++, but a little about programming. I believe
    the Lippman and Lajoie(sp?) book on the C++ standard library
    (can't recall the title) has a chapter on strings too.

As far as 'obsolete soon', the C++ standard was finalized in 1998 (and
    _Accelerated C++_ assumes that standard) and only minor bug fixes
    have taken place since then. std::string is part of that standard,
    and it isn't going away or becoming obsolete any time soon.

> Alternatively, are there good web resources?

I don't know of any. But comp.lang.c++.moderated is a good place to
    post C++ questions which are not implementation-specific.