* optimisation and AMD K7
@ 1999-12-27  4:51 Jean Francois PARIS
From: Jean Francois PARIS @ 1999-12-27  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

hi

I'm using a glibc2-linux-box. Which version of gcc or egcs and which
options should I use to get the best perf or the smaller exe. There are
some options for pentium : -mpentium. does some exist for amd K7

regards,

-------------------------------------
Paris jean-francois
jparis@prope.insa-lyon.fr
jfparis@cipcinsa.insa-lyon.fr
mjediyoda@multimania.com
-
ICQ #29259447
-
http://www.multimania.com/mjediyoda
-------------------------------------

* Re: optimisation and AMD K7
@ 1999-12-27  8:37 ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 1999-12-27  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

>Which version of gcc or egcs and which
>options should I use to get the best perf or the smaller exe.

Your mileage surely will vary.  gcc-2.95.2 does well on many examples; gcc-2.96
improves significantly in certain situations, and loses in others.

On x86 architectures, the option -Os, which is intended to produce smallest
code, often produces faster code as well, possibly in combination with
-funroll-loops or -funroll-all-loops.

I believe 2.96 has seen some work for k7.  With 2.96, the combination
-march=pentiumpro -ffast-math activates conditional moves and the like, as well
as a number of bugs.  The latest version of 2.96 has corrected some of the code
alignment problems of 2.95.2.
Tim Prince
tprince@computer.org

* optimisation and AMD K7
@ 1999-12-31 22:24 ` Jean Francois PARIS
From: Jean Francois PARIS @ 1999-12-31 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 1999-12-31 22:24   ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 1999-12-31 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 2000-01-02 20:20   ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2000-01-02 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

	Note gcc-2.96 is the internal name used for the snapshots of the
unstable, development version of the compiler.  There has been no gcc-2.96
release and the next release may or may not be named gcc-2.96.

David
David Edelsohn                                      T.J. Watson Research Center
dje@watson.ibm.com                                  P.O. Box 218
+1 914 945 4364 (TL 862)                            Yorktown Heights, NY 10598

* Re: optimisation and AMD K7
@ 2000-04-01  0:00     ` David Edelsohn