* Does Solaris 11 support GCC's init_priority?
@ 2016-09-20  0:17 Jeffrey Walton
From: Jeffrey Walton @ 2016-09-20  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi Everyone,

Please forgive my ignorance, I'm working on Solaris 11.3 x86_64. It
provides GCC 4.8.2.

Compiling a source file that uses init_priority results in:

    $ /usr/gnu/bin/egrep 'error:' cryptest-result.txt
    cpu.cpp:228:84: error: constructor priorities are not supported
     void __attribute__ ((constructor (CRYPTOPP_INIT_PRIORITY + 50)))
DetectX86Features()

             ^

I know GCC 4.8 supports them, so I'm trying to determine the scope of
Solaris non-support. I also see Solaris 12 may support them. Confer,
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/527320/.

Does anyone know the scope here? Is it Solaris 11 and below? Is it
only limited to x86_64? Or is it all Solaris with all arch'es?

Jeff

* Re: Does Solaris 11 support GCC's init_priority?
@ 2016-09-20  9:05 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2016-09-20  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey Walton; +Cc: gcc-help, Rainer Orth

On 20 September 2016 at 01:16, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Please forgive my ignorance, I'm working on Solaris 11.3 x86_64. It
> provides GCC 4.8.2.
>
> Compiling a source file that uses init_priority results in:
>
>     $ /usr/gnu/bin/egrep 'error:' cryptest-result.txt
>     cpu.cpp:228:84: error: constructor priorities are not supported
>      void __attribute__ ((constructor (CRYPTOPP_INIT_PRIORITY + 50)))
> DetectX86Features()
>
>              ^
>
> I know GCC 4.8 supports them, so I'm trying to determine the scope of
> Solaris non-support. I also see Solaris 12 may support them. Confer,
> https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/527320/.
>
> Does anyone know the scope here? Is it Solaris 11 and below? Is it
> only limited to x86_64? Or is it all Solaris with all arch'es?

You should ask the Solaris maintainer, who doesn't read this list.

I've CC'd him.

* Re: Does Solaris 11 support GCC's init_priority?
@ 2016-09-20  9:24   ` Rainer Orth
From: Rainer Orth @ 2016-09-20  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wakely; +Cc: Jeffrey Walton, gcc-help

Hi Jonathan,

> On 20 September 2016 at 01:16, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> Please forgive my ignorance, I'm working on Solaris 11.3 x86_64. It
>> provides GCC 4.8.2.
>>
>> Compiling a source file that uses init_priority results in:
>>
>>     $ /usr/gnu/bin/egrep 'error:' cryptest-result.txt
>>     cpu.cpp:228:84: error: constructor priorities are not supported
>>      void __attribute__ ((constructor (CRYPTOPP_INIT_PRIORITY + 50)))
>> DetectX86Features()
>>
>>              ^
>>
>> I know GCC 4.8 supports them, so I'm trying to determine the scope of
>> Solaris non-support. I also see Solaris 12 may support them. Confer,
>> https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/527320/.
>>
>> Does anyone know the scope here? Is it Solaris 11 and below? Is it
>> only limited to x86_64? Or is it all Solaris with all arch'es?
>
> You should ask the Solaris maintainer, who doesn't read this list.
>
> I've CC'd him.

When you want to use Solaris ld (which I'd strongly recommend), it's
Solaris 12 only on both sparc and x86.  The necessary linker support
hasn't been backported to Solaris 11.3 yet, and it seems unlikely it
ever will be.  Solaris 10 is certainly out of question.

If you're really desperate, you could GNU ld instead ;-)

	Rainer

Rainer Orth, Center for Biotechnology, Bielefeld University