public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* libgcj/1128: libffi configure script doesn't honour "--with-as"
@ 2000-12-20 12:09 bryce
From: bryce @ 2000-12-20 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: java-gnats

>Number:         1128
>Category:       libgcj
>Synopsis:       libffi configure script doesn't honour "--with-as"
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    tromey
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Wed Dec 20 12:06:21 PST 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:  Fri Dec 17 20:16:01 PST 1999
>Originator:     bryce@albatross.co.nz
>Release:        current cvs libgcj, gcc 2.95.2
libffi works nicely on Solaris x86, but it must be built
with GNU `as', not Solaris `as'.

But despite rearranging PATH, and specifying
"--with-as=/usr/local/gnu/bin/as" or "--with-gnu-as" on the
configure line, the Solaris `as' is allways used and the
build fails.

The only way I could get it to use GNU `as' is to actually
delete or rename the Solaris one.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:

>Release-Note:
>Audit-Trail:

Formerly PR libgcj/120

From: Tom Tromey <tromey@cygnus.com>
To: bryce@albatross.co.nz
Cc: java-gnats@sourceware.cygnus.com
Subject: Re: libgcj/120: libffi configure script doesn't honour "--with-as"
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 16:09:03 -0800 (PST)

 My understanding is that libffi just uses whatever assembler gcc is
 configured to use -- it runs the assembler via the gcc front end.
 So it seems like you could work around this using the appropriate -B
 option, or by configuring gcc a different way.

 I guess we could recognize --with-as=... and set the -B option
 automatically, but that seems a bit ugly (and perhaps error-prone; I
 don't know the issues).

 Tom

From: Bryce McKinlay <bryce@albatross.co.nz>
To: Tom Tromey <tromey@cygnus.com>
Cc: java-gnats@sourceware.cygnus.com
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 14:11:33 +1300

 Tom Tromey wrote:

 > My understanding is that libffi just uses whatever assembler gcc is
 > configured to use -- it runs the assembler via the gcc front end.
 > So it seems like you could work around this using the appropriate -B
 > option, or by configuring gcc a different way.
 >
 > I guess we could recognize --with-as=... and set the -B option
 > automatically, but that seems a bit ugly (and perhaps error-prone; I
 > don't know the issues).

 Would it be practical to change libffi to call the assembler directly
 (like other parts of libgcj presumably do) rather than via gcc? This
 would probibly be more robust than mapping --with-as to -B.

 regards

   [ bryce ]

From: Tom Tromey <tromey@cygnus.com>
To: Bryce McKinlay <bryce@albatross.co.nz>
Cc: Tom Tromey <tromey@cygnus.com>, java-gnats@sourceware.cygnus.com,
        Anthony Green <green@cygnus.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 20:15:19 -0800 (PST)

 Bryce> Would it be practical to change libffi to call the assembler
 Bryce> directly (like other parts of libgcj presumably do) rather than
 Bryce> via gcc? This would probibly be more robust than mapping
 Bryce> --with-as to -B.

 Right now we have assembly code that is compiled in boehm-gc and
 libffi, and that's it.  (gmp has assembly code, but I don't know its
 status.)

 Both these places use the gcc driver.

 Would it be possible to change libffi to work with either assembler?

 Tom
>Unformatted:

only message in thread, other threads:[~2000-12-20 12:09 UTC | newest]