public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* libgcj/1263: Some configuration/distribution issues
@ 2000-12-20 12:23 zastai
From: zastai @ 2000-12-20 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: java-gnats

>Number:         1263
>Category:       libgcj
>Synopsis:       Some configuration/distribution issues
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    tromey
>State:          closed
>Class:          support
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Wed Dec 20 12:18:27 PST 2000
>Closed-Date:    Sat Aug 19 17:10:52 PDT 2000
>Last-Modified:  Sat Aug 19 17:16:00 PDT 2000
>Originator:     zastai@hotmail.com
>Release:        unknown-1.0
 * configure should create the full java and gnu trees in
   the build directory; if not, build will fail if not
   building in the source tree.

 * libjava includes a seriously outdated version of zip,
    which does not properly support LFN-based filesystems.
   Using a more recent version (2.3h or higher) should
    solve this.
>How-To-Repeat:
- configure outside source tree
- build zip on MSDOS system (with LFN)
>Fix:
- Have configure create the full java and gnu trees
- Include zip 2.3h or higher in the distribution
>Release-Note:

>Audit-Trail:

Formerly PR libgcj/245

From: Bryce McKinlay <bryce@albatross.co.nz>
To: zastai@hotmail.com
Cc: java-gnats@sourceware.cygnus.com
Subject: Re: libgcj/245: Some configuration/distribution issues
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 20:26:48 +1200

 zastai@hotmail.com wrote:

 >  * configure should create the full java and gnu trees in
 >    the build directory; if not, build will fail if not
 >    building in the source tree.

 I don't understand what you mean here. What do you mean by "not building
 in the source tree"? I regularly (always, actually) build libgcj in a
 separate "build" directory from the source tree.

 >  * libjava includes a seriously outdated version of zip,
 >     which does not properly support LFN-based filesystems.
 >    Using a more recent version (2.3h or higher) should
 >     solve this.

 Thanks - I will investigate importing a newer version of zip into the
 tree.

 > >Fix:
 > - Have configure create the full java and gnu trees

 Can you explain what you mean by this?

 regards

   [ bryce ]

From: Tom Tromey <tromey@cygnus.com>
To: zastai@hotmail.com
Cc: java-gnats@sourceware.cygnus.com
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 09:47:32 -0700 (PDT)

 >>  * configure should create the full java and gnu trees in
 >>    the build directory; if not, build will fail if not
 >>    building in the source tree.

 Could you tell me how it fails?
 It definitely does work for me.

 Tom
State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: tromey
State-Changed-When: Sat Aug 19 17:10:52 2000
State-Changed-Why:
    I'm closing this PR.

    For the first part of the PR, we don't understand the
    meaning and there's been no response for a while.

    For the second part of the PR, we are going to ditch
    zip and start using fastjar in the not-too-distant future.
    (This is a requirement for merging libgcj into the gcc
    tree.)

From: tromey@cygnus.com
To: java-gnats@sourceware.cygnus.com, tromey@cygnus.com, zastai@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: libgcj/245
Date: 20 Aug 2000 00:10:52 -0000

 http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view&pr=245&database=java
>Unformatted:

only message in thread, other threads:[~2000-12-20 12:23 UTC | newest]