public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: bootstrap/2670
@ 2001-06-05 14:26 jsm28
From: jsm28 @ 2001-06-05 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/2670; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: jsm28@gcc.gnu.org
To: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, jsm28@cam.ac.uk, nobody@gcc.gnu.org,
  ro@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
Subject: Re: bootstrap/2670
Date: 5 Jun 2001 21:23:10 -0000

 Synopsis: Passing -fpic to cc gives warning

 State-Changed-From-To: feedback->analyzed
 State-Changed-By: jsm28
 State-Changed-When: Tue Jun  5 14:23:10 2001
 State-Changed-Why:
     Submitter reports problem is still present.

 http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view&pr=2670&database=gcc

* Re: bootstrap/2670
@ 2001-06-05 11:06 Rainer Orth
From: Rainer Orth @ 2001-06-05 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/2670; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Rainer Orth <ro@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
To: jsm28@gcc.gnu.org
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, jsm28@cam.ac.uk, nobody@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 19:57:53 +0200 (MEST)

 jsm28@gcc.gnu.org writes:

 > Synopsis: Passing -fpic to cc gives warning
 >
 > State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
 > State-Changed-By: jsm28
 > State-Changed-When: Mon Jun  4 08:59:45 2001
 > State-Changed-Why:
 >     Is this problem still present with current 3.0 CVS?

 I didn't see it in a bootstrap attempt (which didn't work out, see

 	http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2001-05/msg00876.html
 	http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2001-05/msg00962.html
 	http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2001-05/msg00967.html

 ) of gcc 3.0 20010431, but I've now figured out why: the toplevel
 configure.in includes config/mh-x86pic and config/mt-x86pic if ${shared} =
 yes; this is set when you configure with --enable-shared (as I'd done in
 the original bootstrap, but not in the later ones, keeping them as vanilla
 as possible), not taking into account that the bootstrap compiler may need
 another PIC flag, not -fpic/-fPIC.  This problem is obviously generic,
 since all the config/m?-*pic files only use -fpic/-fPIC.

 	Rainer

 Rainer Orth, Faculty of Technology, Bielefeld University

 Email: ro@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE

* Re: bootstrap/2670
@ 2001-06-04  9:06 jsm28
From: jsm28 @ 2001-06-04  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/2670; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: jsm28@gcc.gnu.org
To: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, jsm28@cam.ac.uk, nobody@gcc.gnu.org,
  ro@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE