public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: libgcj/2746: Bundled zip overvrites higher versioned zip in /usr/local/bin/zip
@ 2001-06-07 15:55 tromey
From: tromey @ 2001-06-07 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, java-prs, mtodorov, nobody, tromey

Synopsis: Bundled zip overvrites higher versioned zip in /usr/local/bin/zip

Responsible-Changed-From-To: unassigned->tromey
Responsible-Changed-By: tromey
Responsible-Changed-When: Thu Jun  7 15:55:49 2001
Responsible-Changed-Why:
    I'm handling it.
State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: tromey
State-Changed-When: Thu Jun  7 15:55:49 2001
State-Changed-Why:
    I'm closing this for two reasons:

    * First, gcc 3.0 will include jar, and not zip.
    * Second, this is a decision made by the gcc developers.
      It is one I disagree with, but nevertheless it happened:
      gcc will always install its version of jar in $(bindir).
      If this causes problems for you I think the accepted
      solution is to configure with a --prefix pointing at
      an otherwise unused directory.

    Thanks.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view&pr=2746&database=gcc

* libgcj/2746: Bundled zip overvrites higher versioned zip in /usr/local/bin/zip
@ 2001-05-05  6:26 mtodorov
From: mtodorov @ 2001-05-05  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         2746
>Category:       libgcj
>Synopsis:       Bundled zip overvrites higher versioned zip in /usr/local/bin/zip
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          mistaken
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Sat May 05 06:26:00 PDT 2001
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     mtodorov@alu.hr
>Release:        2.95.1
libgcj comes with bundled zip and builds it using this
zip regardless of zip already existing on system in
/usr/local/bin/zip that is a higher version.

Unfortunatelly, it also overwrote zip 2.3 which was
in /usr/local/bin/zip with bundled zip 2.1 which was
built with libgcj -- and this without asking.

This I would consider a non-elegant solution for
the problem, or a bug.
>How-To-Repeat:
gzip -cd libgcj-2.95.1 | tar xvf -
mkdir libgcj
cd libgcj
../libgcj-2.95.1/configure
gmake
gmake install
>Fix:
Try to check whether there are zip and zlib on the system
in ./configure script.

If there are no zip and/or zlib, or they are older version
than bundled packages, build bundled and install them.

If bundled packages are older versions, do not install them,
and choose whether to build with bundled or with what's
present on system.

If choice was made to use present on system packages,
test them in configure script for correct working, the
same as it is done with gcc complier in ./configure script.