public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: libgcj/2730: -d and --output-class-dir= fail to place the .o file in the output dir
@ 2001-06-07 15:59 tromey
From: tromey @ 2001-06-07 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, java-prs, jddahl, nobody, tromey

Synopsis: -d and --output-class-dir= fail to place the .o file in the output dir

Responsible-Changed-From-To: unassigned->tromey
Responsible-Changed-By: tromey
Responsible-Changed-When: Thu Jun  7 15:59:24 2001
Responsible-Changed-Why:
    I'm handling it.
State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: tromey
State-Changed-When: Thu Jun  7 15:59:24 2001
State-Changed-Why:
    I don't think this is really a bug.
    I agree it is a bit confusing, but it is what we
    decided to do.

    `-d' (aka --output-class-dir) only affects the placement
    of .class files.  It only has any effect when you are
    using gcj to generate .class files.  In this mode gcj
    tries to follow the lead of `javac' (our goal -- which
    at present we aren't very close to, is to have `gcj -C'
    work like `javac').

    When compiling to object code, gcj works more like other
    gcc front ends.  So for instance the .o file is placed
    where the `-o' option says -- and in the absence of `-o'
    it is named after the source file and put into `.'.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view&pr=2730&database=gcc

* Re: libgcj/2730: -d and --output-class-dir= fail to place the .o file in the output dir
@ 2001-05-03 10:46 Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2001-05-03 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR libgcj/2730; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
To: jddahl@micron.com
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: libgcj/2730: -d and --output-class-dir= fail to place the .o file in the output dir
Date: 03 May 2001 11:50:48 -0600

 Jeff> -d and --output-class-dir= don't put the .o file in specified
 Jeff> directory.  The .o is placed in the current directory.

 These options only affect .class file output.
 That is, they only do something when you use the `-C' option.

 Jeff> Move the file yourself.  Not very conducive to large projects
 Jeff> with many .o files in different directories.

 You can use the `-o' option to place the output file.

 I personally don't think we need to change this.
 However you might consider raising the issue on the java@gcc.gnu.org
 mailing list to see what others think.

 Tom

* libgcj/2730: -d and --output-class-dir= fail to place the .o file in the output dir
@ 2001-05-03 10:06 jddahl
From: jddahl @ 2001-05-03 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         2730
>Category:       libgcj
>Synopsis:       -d and --output-class-dir= fail to place the .o file in the output dir
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Thu May 03 10:06:00 PDT 2001
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     jddahl@micron.com
>Release:        Compile latest CVS yesterday.
-d and --output-class-dir= don't put the .o file in specified
directory.  The .o is placed in the current directory.
>How-To-Repeat:
Use the -d or --output-class-dir= compiler option.