public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: debug/1819: severe problems debugging c++-code (libstdc++)
@ 2001-06-11 10:30 dberlin
From: dberlin @ 2001-06-11 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dberlin, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody, schmid

Synopsis: severe problems debugging c++-code (libstdc++)

Responsible-Changed-From-To: unassigned->dberlin
Responsible-Changed-By: dberlin
Responsible-Changed-When: Mon Jun 11 10:30:21 2001
Responsible-Changed-Why:
    Mine
State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: dberlin
State-Changed-When: Mon Jun 11 10:30:21 2001
State-Changed-Why:
    This is a combination of a gdb problem, and a bug that is already fixed (the line number problem).
    The gdb problem will be fixed in gdb cvs very soon now.
    Since the gcc portion of the bug has been fixed, i've closed this CR

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view&pr=1819&database=gcc

* Re: debug/1819: severe problems debugging c++-code (libstdc++)
@ 2001-04-01  0:00 Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2001-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR debug/1819; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Phil Edwards <pedwards@disaster.jaj.com>
To: schmid@snake.iap.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: debug/1819: severe problems debugging c++-code (libstdc++)
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 14:42:39 -0500

 On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 05:27:40PM +0100, schmid@snake.iap.physik.tu-darmstadt.de wrote:

 > >Number:         1819
 > >Category:       debug
 > >Synopsis:       severe problems debugging c++-code (libstdc++)
 > >Confidential:   no
 > >Severity:       critical
 > >Responsible:    unassigned
 > >State:          open
 > >Class:          sw-bug
 > >Submitter-Id:   net
 > >Arrival-Date:   Wed Jan 31 08:36:04 PST 2001
 > >Closed-Date:
 > >Last-Modified:
 > >Originator:     Peter Schmid
 > >Release:        2.97 20010129 (experimental)
 > Running the following program tp generates a segmentation
 > fault. If I set a breakpoint at the line std::cout << " "; of the
 > program tp and set into that function the debugger messages are
 > unusable. First the line number is out of bounce; the debugger
 > searche for a line with the number 635 instead of the correct line
 > number 213.

 This has been reported before, see the 7 messages beginning with
 < http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2001-01/msg00169.html >.  It seems to occur
 when a header file #includes one of the .tcc files; the line numbers inside
 the .tcc file aren't counted from scratch.  (I think.)

 I can confirm other parts of this PR as well, but not all of it.

 > Secondly the type of __cout, basic_ostream<_CharT,
 > _Traits>&, is not detected.

 I don't know about that one.

 > After single stepping until somehow the
 > function   _S_pad_char is called, I encounter that the debugger jumps
 > up and down inside the body of the function as if the were a loop,
 > but there is not.

 This bit me the other day, trying to step through libstdc++ functions.
 Using 'n' would go from line N to N+1 to N to N+1 to N to N+30.  Really odd.

 > I tryed different versions of the gdb. All showed
 > the same behaviour.

 All I've tried is CVS gdb, since that's the only one which properly supports
 CVS g++'s name mangling.

 Phil

From: nathan@gcc.gnu.org
To: nobody@gcc.gnu.org
Cc: gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: c++/1765
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 00:00:00 -0000

The following reply was made to PR c++/1765; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: nathan@gcc.gnu.org
To: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, nathan@codesourcery.com, nobody@gcc.gnu.org
Date: 29 Jan 2001 16:36:54 -0000

 Synopsis: bogus warning with new pod struct ()

 State-Changed-From-To: open->analyzed
 State-Changed-By: nathan
 State-Changed-When: Mon Jan 29 08:36:54 2001
 State-Changed-Why:
     confirmed

 http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view&pr=1765&database=gcc
From: Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
To: nobody@gcc.gnu.org
Cc: gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: java/2412: jv-scan reports parse error
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 00:00:00 -0000

The following reply was made to PR java/2412; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
To: Mika.Riekkinen@tellabs.com
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, Alexandre Petit-Bianco <apbianco@cygnus.com>
Date: 30 Mar 2001 17:14:25 -0700

 FYI, Alex: I believe this PR is a duplicate of another PR.
 If/when you check in the fix, don't forget to close the other one.

 I wish we had an automatic way of making sure the two parsers stayed
 in sync.

 Tom