public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: java/2319: invalid UTF-8 sequences should be rejected
@ 2001-06-19 13:50 tromey
From: tromey @ 2001-06-19 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, java-prs, nobody, tromey, tromey

Synopsis: invalid UTF-8 sequences should be rejected

Responsible-Changed-From-To: unassigned->tromey
Responsible-Changed-By: tromey
Responsible-Changed-When: Tue Jun 19 13:50:19 2001
Responsible-Changed-Why:
    I'm handling it.
State-Changed-From-To: open->analyzed
State-Changed-By: tromey
State-Changed-When: Tue Jun 19 13:50:19 2001
State-Changed-Why:
    I submitted a patch.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view&pr=2319&database=gcc

* Re: java/2319: invalid UTF-8 sequences should be rejected
@ 2001-06-20  9:23 tromey
From: tromey @ 2001-06-20  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, java-prs, tromey, tromey

Synopsis: invalid UTF-8 sequences should be rejected

State-Changed-From-To: analyzed->closed
State-Changed-By: tromey
State-Changed-When: Wed Jun 20 09:23:10 2001
State-Changed-Why:
    I've checked in the fix.
    The fix only works if the built-in UTF-8 decoder is used.
    If the system decoder is used, we're at its mercy.
    The glibc UTF-8 decoder (on my RH 6.2 box) does not
    give an error for invalid or overlong sequences.

@ 2001-03-19  9:16 Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2001-03-19  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR java/2319; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
To: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
Cc: <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>, <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: java/2319: invalid UTF-8 sequences should be rejected
Date: 19 Mar 2001 10:19:18 -0700

 Joseph> Also note that the invalid sequences that should be rejected
 Joseph> include over-long sequences and UTF-8 encodings that would map
 Joseph> to values in the UTF-16 surrogate range.

 I agree, with the sole exception that I think we should accept the
 Java form of \0.  Java represents this as a two-byte sequence and it
 seems reasonable that a Java compiler would accept this form.

 Tom

* Re: java/2319: invalid UTF-8 sequences should be rejected
@ 2001-03-19  9:06 Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2001-03-19  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR java/2319; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
To: <tromey@redhat.com>
Cc: <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>,  <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 17:00:47 +0000 (GMT)

 On 19 Mar 2001 tromey@redhat.com wrote:

 > Currently the compiler accepts invalid UTF-8 sequences
 > when reading a file.  Instead we ought to diagnose
 > such sequences as errors.

 Also note that the invalid sequences that should be rejected include
 over-long sequences and UTF-8 encodings that would map to values in the
 UTF-16 surrogate range.

 http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html
 http://www.unicode.org/unicode/uni2errata/UTF-8_Corrigendum.html

 --
 Joseph S. Myers
 jsm28@cam.ac.uk

* java/2319: invalid UTF-8 sequences should be rejected
@ 2001-03-19  8:36 tromey
From: tromey @ 2001-03-19  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats