public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: bootstrap/3236
@ 2001-06-20 11:06 Jeff Deifik
From: Jeff Deifik @ 2001-06-20 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/3236; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jeff Deifik <jeff.deifik@jpl.nasa.gov>
To: "Zack Weinberg" <zackw@Stanford.EDU>, Jeff Deifik <jdeifik@weasel.com>
Cc: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>,
        Jeff Deifik <jeff.deifik@jpl.nasa.gov>, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org,
        gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: bootstrap/3236
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 11:03:05 -0700

 At 10:46 AM 6/20/01 -0700, Zack Weinberg wrote:
 >On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 06:14:28AM -0700, Jeff Deifik wrote:
 > >
 > > This is jeff deifik (from my home domain).
 > >
 > > I was able to successfully build gcc-3.0 by building in the
 > > gcc-3.0 tree. I know you folks said not to do it, but someone else
 > > at work did it successfully, and I was at wits end due to the
 > > make bootstrap bug I reported.
 >
 >srcdir == objdir is supposed to work.  We just don't test it very
 >often.
 >
 >What doesn't work at all is when srcdir is a parent of objdir or vice
 >versa.

 I really appreciate all of your help. When it wasn't working for me, neither
 srcdir nor objdir was a parent of the other.

 I had ~jdeifik/gnu/gcc-3.0/... where the source was and I had
 ~jdeifik/gnu/objdir . That is what I reported in the bug report.

          thanks,
          jeff deifik

* Re: bootstrap/3236
@ 2001-06-20 11:26 Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2001-06-20 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/3236; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Zack Weinberg" <zackw@Stanford.EDU>
To: Jeff Deifik <jeff.deifik@jpl.nasa.gov>
Cc: Jeff Deifik <jdeifik@weasel.com>, "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>,
   gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 11:20:48 -0700

 On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 11:03:05AM -0700, Jeff Deifik wrote:
 > At 10:46 AM 6/20/01 -0700, Zack Weinberg wrote:
 > >On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 06:14:28AM -0700, Jeff Deifik wrote:
 > > >
 > > > This is jeff deifik (from my home domain).
 > > >
 > > > I was able to successfully build gcc-3.0 by building in the
 > > > gcc-3.0 tree. I know you folks said not to do it, but someone else
 > > > at work did it successfully, and I was at wits end due to the
 > > > make bootstrap bug I reported.
 > >
 > >srcdir == objdir is supposed to work.  We just don't test it very
 > >often.
 > >
 > >What doesn't work at all is when srcdir is a parent of objdir or vice
 > >versa.
 >
 > I really appreciate all of your help. When it wasn't working for me, neither
 > srcdir nor objdir was a parent of the other.
 >
 > I had ~jdeifik/gnu/gcc-3.0/... where the source was and I had
 > ~jdeifik/gnu/objdir . That is what I reported in the bug report.

 Yes, I understood that.  Did you try my original suggestion?

 --
 zw    The phrase causes storage to be reserved, doesn't mean that it causes
       storage to be reserved.  This is a fundamental misunderstanding of

* Re: bootstrap/3236
@ 2001-06-20 10:56 Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2001-06-20 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/3236; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Zack Weinberg" <zackw@Stanford.EDU>
To: Jeff Deifik <jdeifik@weasel.com>
Cc: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>,
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 10:46:49 -0700

 On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 06:14:28AM -0700, Jeff Deifik wrote:

 > This is jeff deifik (from my home domain).
 >
 > I was able to successfully build gcc-3.0 by building in the
 > gcc-3.0 tree. I know you folks said not to do it, but someone else
 > at work did it successfully, and I was at wits end due to the
 > make bootstrap bug I reported.

 srcdir == objdir is supposed to work.  We just don't test it very
 often.

 What doesn't work at all is when srcdir is a parent of objdir or vice
 versa.

 --
 zw     I *will* wrestle it into shape eventually. I *will* clean it out,
        *without* resorting to the redirection of a major navigable river.

* Re: bootstrap/3236
@ 2001-06-20 10:46 Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2001-06-20 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/3236; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Zack Weinberg" <zackw@Stanford.EDU>
To: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
Cc: Jeff Deifik <jeff.deifik@jpl.nasa.gov>, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org,
   gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 10:45:38 -0700

 On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 12:33:36PM +0100, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
 > On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Zack Weinberg wrote:
 >
 > > I agree this is confusing.  It's also inaccurate; the second paragraph
 > > is true whether or not you are using CVS.
 >
 > The point of referring to CVS is that checking out from CVS will check out
 > into a "gcc" directory rather than a gcc-version directory.

 The rest of the explanation still holds, though.

 > > # % cd *objdir*
 > > # % ../*srcdir*/configure [target] [options]
 > >
 > > to emphasize that *objdir* and *srcdir* must be entirely separate.
 >
 > Both relative and absolute paths for srcdir ought to work.

 Yes, and they do, but the instructions right here tell you 'mkdir
 objdir, cd objdir' immediately before that.  I think the use of a
 relative path is more consistent with the rest of the instructions.

 > > I would send a patch but I do not know where the master copy of this
 > > file lives or how to update all of its children.
 >
 > gcc/doc/install.texi on mainline (which should probably be merged to the
 > branch when the branch reopens), online version generated by
 > update_web_docs run from cron.

 Thanks.  Will send patch.

 --
 zw   The MacsBug debugger symbol displayed as the pc location for the memory
      manager's code has been changed from BowelsOfTheMemoryMgr to the more

* Re: bootstrap/3236
@ 2001-06-20  6:26 Jeff Deifik
From: Jeff Deifik @ 2001-06-20  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/3236; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jeff Deifik <jdeifik@weasel.com>
To: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>, Zack Weinberg <zackw@stanford.edu>
Cc: Jeff Deifik <jeff.deifik@jpl.nasa.gov>, <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>,
   <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 06:14:28 -0700

 At 12:33 PM 6/20/01 +0100, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
 >On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Zack Weinberg wrote:
 >
 > > I agree this is confusing.  It's also inaccurate; the second paragraph
 > > is true whether or not you are using CVS.
 >
 >The point of referring to CVS is that checking out from CVS will check out
 >into a "gcc" directory rather than a gcc-version directory.
 >
 > > # % cd *objdir*
 > > # % ../*srcdir*/configure [target] [options]
 > >
 > > to emphasize that *objdir* and *srcdir* must be entirely separate.
 >
 >Both relative and absolute paths for srcdir ought to work.
 >
 > > I would send a patch but I do not know where the master copy of this
 > > file lives or how to update all of its children.
 >
 >gcc/doc/install.texi on mainline (which should probably be merged to the
 >branch when the branch reopens), online version generated by
 >update_web_docs run from cron.

 This is jeff deifik (from my home domain).

 I was able to successfully build gcc-3.0 by building in the
 gcc-3.0 tree. I know you folks said not to do it, but someone else
 at work did it successfully, and I was at wits end due to the
 make bootstrap bug I reported.

 The build went fine, the install went fine, and my personal test cases work
 fine.

 There does seem to be a problem with the 'make -k check' part, not
 being able to find a bunch of files, but I didn't report that, since I *was*
 building in the source directory.

 I suspect there is something wrong with the documented procedure to
 have objdir != srcdir, since I was able to build when objdir == srcdir.

          thanks,
          jeff deifik
          jeff.deifik@jpl.nasa.gov - work
          jdeifik@weasel.com - home

* Re: bootstrap/3236
@ 2001-06-20  4:36 Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2001-06-20  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/3236; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
To: Zack Weinberg <zackw@stanford.edu>
Cc: Jeff Deifik <jeff.deifik@jpl.nasa.gov>,  <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>,
     <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>