public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* bootstrap/3314: --enable-threads does not seem to be working for HP-UX 11.00
@ 2001-06-21  1:36 harri.pasanen
From: harri.pasanen @ 2001-06-21  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         3314
>Category:       bootstrap
>Synopsis:       --enable-threads does not seem to be working for HP-UX 11.00
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Thu Jun 21 01:36:00 PDT 2001
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     harri.pasanen@trema.com
>Release:        gcc version 3.0.1 20010618 (prerelease)
bash-2.02$ gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/gnu/lib/gcc-lib/hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.00/3.0.1/specs
Configured with: ../gcc/configure --prefix=/usr/gnu --with-gnu-as --with-as=/usr/gnu/bin/as --enable-threads
Thread model: single
gcc version 3.0.1 20010618 (prerelease)
bash-2.02$

So it says thread model is single, even if --enable-threads was used in configuration.

>How-To-Repeat:
Try to configure gcc 3.0 with --enable-threads on HP-UX 11.00
>Fix:

>Release-Note:
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:

* Re: bootstrap/3314: --enable-threads does not seem to be working for HP-UX 11.00
@ 2003-05-14  8:16 Dara Hazeghi
From: Dara Hazeghi @ 2003-05-14  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/3314; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dara Hazeghi <dhazeghi@yahoo.com>
To: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, rittle@latour.rsch.comm.mot.com
Subject: Re: bootstrap/3314: --enable-threads does not seem to be working for HP-UX 11.00
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 01:07:02 -0700

 http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-
 trail&database=gcc&pr=3314

 Loren, you were the last person to make any comments on this bug
 report. Do you know if anything's happened with this since? Or are
 things pretty much where they were when you last update the report?
 Thanks,

 Dara

* Re: bootstrap/3314: --enable-threads does not seem to be working for HP-UX 11.00
@ 2002-02-18 15:01 ljrittle
From: ljrittle @ 2002-02-18 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, harri.pasanen, jdonner, ljrittle, nobody

Synopsis: --enable-threads does not seem to be working for HP-UX 11.00

Responsible-Changed-From-To: ljrittle->unassigned
Responsible-Changed-By: ljrittle
Responsible-Changed-When: Mon Feb 18 15:01:05 2002
Responsible-Changed-Why:
    Just marking that I am no longer working on this problem
    (sorry to have kept it assigned to myself for so long
    with no final progress).

    In general, a complete fix requires moving all control from
    gcc/config.gcc to gcc/configure.in .  It would be better
    to provide all legal values (and a hint for the default
    for the target) for --enable-threads in gcc/config.gcc
    and centralize the seclection of the thread model after
    config.gcc is parsed.  You will note that the control
    logic is currently spread to the following locations:
    - before config.gcc is parsed (in configure)
    - per-host in config.gcc with much duplication and
      many annoying subtle differences
    - after config.gcc is parsed (back in configure)

    When the user specifies a value for --enable-threads that
    is not legal for the target or specifies --enable-threads
    without a value and the target default is single; the
    "early configure" should abort with a clear message.

    A patch was posted that handles the second issue without
    moving all the control logic as should (IMHO) be done.
    It moved most control logic related to thread model
    selection within configure to after config.gcc was
    parsed without touching config.gcc.  This less than
    ideal improvement was never fully accepted or rejected.

@ 2002-01-15  8:46 Craig Rodrigues
From: Craig Rodrigues @ 2002-01-15  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ljrittle; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/3314; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@mediaone.net>
To: harri.pasanen@trema.com, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
   jdonner@schedsys.com, ljrittle@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: bootstrap/3314: --enable-threads does not seem to be working for
 HP-UX 11.00
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 11:39:24 -0500

 http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=3314

 Information added from PR 5383 which is a duplicate of this:
 http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=3314

 --enable-threads configure option does not abort on HP-UX 11, and
 consequently
 creates a badly configured compiler.
 ============================================================================================================

@ 2002-01-14 19:16 Craig Rodrigues
From: Craig Rodrigues @ 2002-01-14 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ljrittle; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/3314; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@mediaone.net>
To: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 22:09:32 -0500

@ 2001-06-21 14:34 ljrittle
From: ljrittle @ 2001-06-21 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, harri.pasanen, ljrittle, nobody

Synopsis: --enable-threads does not seem to be working for HP-UX 11.00

Responsible-Changed-From-To: unassigned->ljrittle
Responsible-Changed-By: ljrittle
Responsible-Changed-When: Thu Jun 21 14:33:59 2001
Responsible-Changed-Why:
    Mine.
State-Changed-From-To: open->analyzed
State-Changed-By: ljrittle
State-Changed-When: Thu Jun 21 14:33:59 2001
State-Changed-Why:
    This is known but not well-documented behavior.
    On the mainline in gcc/doc/install.texi, the issue is
    now clarified:

      In general, the best (and, in many cases, the only known) threading
      model available will be configured for use.  Beware that on some
      systems, gcc has not been taught what threading models are generally
      available for the system.  In this case, @option{--enable-threads} is an
      alias for @option{--enable-threads=single}.

    It would be better to abort the early configuration with
    an error in this case than to silently drop a user-provided
    switch, but the patches to make that so have not been
    fully submitted or applied yet.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view&pr=3314&database=gcc