public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re:  bootstrap/3373
@ 2001-06-26  5:36 Jeff Sturm
From: Jeff Sturm @ 2001-06-26  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/3373; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jeff Sturm <jsturm@one-point.com>
To: Hans Werner Strube <strube@physik3.gwdg.de>
Cc: gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re:  bootstrap/3373
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 09:07:04 -0400 (EDT)

 On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Hans Werner Strube wrote:
 > This is not the same as the case I reported. When building gcc (3.0), g++
 > g77, libstdc++ etc., gcc has no difficulties to find GNU as and ld, which were
 > installed previously in the gcc 2.95.3 tree and the pertinent directory is
 > automatically placed in the -B options by configure. Merely the definition of
 > GCJ in the libjava Makefile does not include the -B option pointing to GNU
 > as and ld.

 Although this behavior is at odds with the FAQ, I think there is a good
 point here... why is FLAGS_FOR_TARGET used for c/c++/chill but not gcj in
 the toplevel configure.in?  Is this an oversight, or is
 -B$(build_tooldir)/bin not really needed?

 For reference, here's the original thread on -B$(build_tooldir)/bin:

 Jeff

* Re:  bootstrap/3373
@ 2001-06-26  1:26 Hans Werner Strube
From: Hans Werner Strube @ 2001-06-26  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/3373; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Hans Werner Strube <strube@physik3.gwdg.de>
To: gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 10:21:03 +0200 (MET DST)

 http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view&pr=3373&database=gcc
 > Synopsis:
 >  make bootstrap fails in libjava if --with-gnu-as is used
 > Environment:
 >  sparc-sun-solaris2.7
 >  Old gcc for stage1: 2.95.3 with GNU ld and as in its tree,
 >  not in normal path;
 >  3.0 configured with:
 >  --enable-shared=libstdc++ --with-gnu-ld --with-gnu-as --disable-nls;
 >  Bug:
 >  make bootstrap fails in libjava because the -B options of GCJ
 >  do not contain the path to GNU ld and as, and the Solaris
 >  assembler (found instead) does not understand some options.
 >  Workaround:
 >  Copy or link GNU as and ld to the gcc build dir,
 >  which occurs in the last -B option of GCJ.

 This was (in my view) erroneously closed by aoliva@gcc.gnu.org on
 Sat Jun 23 00:01:00 2001 and not yet reopened in spite of sending the
 following mail to him/her:

 --

  Hans Werner Strube          strube@physik3.gwdg.de
  Drittes Physikalisches Institut,  Univ. Goettingen