public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* c++/3755: Inaccurate error message when the compiler tries to instantiate a virtual class using the constructor of a subclass that it does not know about since it was not included.
@ 2001-07-20 18:16 quik
From: quik @ 2001-07-20 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         3755
>Category:       c++
>Synopsis:       Inaccurate error message when the compiler tries to instantiate a virtual class using the constructor of a subclass that it does not know about since it was not included.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Fri Jul 20 18:16:01 PDT 2001
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Antonio M D'souza
>Release:        3.0 20010430 (prerelease)
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD quikbox.ca 4.3-STABLE FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE #1: Wed May 9 22:53:16 EDT 2001 alex@rn-respw2a14.uwaterloo.ca:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/QUIK i386

host: i386-portbld-freebsd4.3
build: i386-portbld-freebsd4.3
target: i386-portbld-freebsd4.3
configured with: ./../gcc-20010430/configure --disable-nls --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i386-portbld-freebsd4.3/3.0/include/g++ --disable-shared --prefix=/usr/local i386-portbld-freebsd4.3
I think that the error msg given when attempting the source file shown below is so confusing as to classify as a bug.
>How-To-Repeat:
Stick this code into a file and try to compile it:

class UI {
    public:
    UI::UI() {}
    int member;
};

int main(void) {
    UI *ui = new GUI;
}

>Fix:
add an include statement for GUI.h
>Release-Note:
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:

* Re: c++/3755: Inaccurate error message when the compiler tries to instantiate a virtual class using the constructor of a subclass that it does not know about since it was not included.
@ 2001-07-21 13:52 nathan
From: nathan @ 2001-07-21 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody, quik

Synopsis: Inaccurate error message when the compiler tries to instantiate a virtual class using the constructor of a subclass that it does not know about since it was not included.

State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: nathan
State-Changed-When: Sat Jul 21 13:52:45 2001
State-Changed-Why:
    I get,
    3755.ii: In function `int main()':
    3755.ii:8: parse error before `;' token

    which seems adequate. Anyway, the new parser might change
    it.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view&pr=3755&database=gcc