public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: libstdc++/3738
@ 2001-08-27 10:36 Luca Formaggia
From: Luca Formaggia @ 2001-08-27 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR libstdc++/3738; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Luca Formaggia <Luca.Formaggia@epfl.ch>
To: Alexandre Oliva <aoliva@redhat.com>
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
 	gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: libstdc++/3738
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 19:31:48 +0200

 --------------C8F330E8ED016AC23E78F12E

 Ok, you are right.

 By reading again B. Stroustrup more carefully I now see that it was all there!

 Thanks to you all and sorry to have wasted some of your time.

 Luca

 Alexandre Oliva wrote:

 > On Aug 24, 2001, Luca Formaggia <Luca.Formaggia@epfl.ch> wrote:
 >
 > > Well, for static integral constant member it should work, accordind to
 > > B.Stroustrup, 3rd Ed., pag 249, unless the standard has changed since then.
 >
 > The ISO C++ Standard says all static data members referenced in a
 > program must be defined (outside the class body, as opposed to only
 > declared inside it), but they must omit the initializer if the
 > declaration already initializes it.  Note, however, that no diagnostic
 > is required in case this rule is violated, which means the compiler is
 > allowed, but not required to, replace references to the static data
 > member with the constant used to initialize them.

 Luca Formaggia                           | mailto:Luca.Formaggia@epfl.ch
 Modelling and Scientific Computing       | http://dmawww.epfl.ch/~forma
 Mathematics Department                   | office: MA C2 524
 Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne | voice: +4121 6934267
 CH-1015 Lausanne, Switzerland            | fax:   +4121 6934303

 --------------C8F330E8ED016AC23E78F12E

 Ok, you are right.
 was all there!
 wrote:
 then.
 is

 <pre>--&nbsp;
 Luca Formaggia&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; | <A HREF=" mailto:Luca.Formaggia@epfl.ch" ;> mailto:Luca.Formaggia@epfl.ch </A>
 Modelling and Scientific Computing&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; | <A HREF=" http://dmawww.epfl.ch/~forma" ;> http://dmawww.epfl.ch/~forma </A>
 Mathematics Department&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; | office: MA C2 524&nbsp;
 Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne | voice: +4121 6934267
 CH-1015 Lausanne, Switzerland&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; | fax:&nbsp;&nbsp; +4121 6934303
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------</pre>
 &nbsp;</html>

@ 2001-08-24  3:46 Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-08-24  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR libstdc++/3738; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Alexandre Oliva <aoliva@redhat.com>
To: Luca.Formaggia@epfl.ch
Cc: luca.formaggia@epfl.ch, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
        gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org
Date: 24 Aug 2001 07:42:06 -0300

@ 2001-08-24  3:06 Luca Formaggia
From: Luca Formaggia @ 2001-08-24  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR libstdc++/3738; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Luca Formaggia <Luca.Formaggia@epfl.ch>
To: luca.formaggia@epfl.ch, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org,
 	gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 12:04:55 +0200

 Well, for static integral constant member it should work, accordind to
 B.Stroustrup, 3rd Ed., pag 249, unless the standard has changed since then.
 Indeed the "working.cc" example does compile .

 http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view&pr=3738&database=gcc