public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: libgcj/4383
@ 2001-09-30  0:46 Bryce McKinlay
From: Bryce McKinlay @ 2001-09-30  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bryce; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR libgcj/4383; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bryce McKinlay <bryce@waitaki.otago.ac.nz>
To: mattnewsome@fuckmicrosoft.com, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
   gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: libgcj/4383
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 19:43:40 +1200

 http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view&pr=4383&database=gcc

 > Using a file: URL with URL.openConnection() to create a
 > URLConnection() throws a NullPointerException. Similarly for any
 > server name in an http: URL where that server name cannot be resolved
 > to via DNS.

 I couldn't reproduce this. In my test case, a sever name that cannot be
 resolved results in an UnknownHostException, and the file protocol
 handler works correctly. One problem that could result in an NPE was if
 you used a file: URL containing a hostname. The file handler would
 (correctly) attempt to switch to the ftp handler, however we dont have
 the ftp handler yet. I'm going to check in a patch which will make it
 throw a more informative IOException.

 regards

 Bryce.

* libgcj/4383
@ 2001-09-30  1:06 bryce
From: bryce @ 2001-09-30  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bryce; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR libgcj/4383; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: bryce@gcc.gnu.org
To: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: libgcj/4383
Date: 30 Sep 2001 07:52:17 -0000

 CVSROOT:	/cvs/gcc
 Module name:	gcc
 Changes by:	bryce@gcc.gnu.org	2001-09-30 00:52:16

 Modified files:
 	libjava        : ChangeLog
 	libjava/java/net: URL.java
 	libjava/gnu/gcj/protocol/file: Connection.java Handler.java

 Log message:
 	PR libgcj/4383

 	* gnu/gcj/protocol/file/Connection.java (connect): Throw
 	FileNotFoundException if appropriate.
 	* gnu/gcj/protocol/file/Handler.java (openConnection): Throw an
 	IOException if we got a file: url with a hostname. Comment out protocol
 	switch to ftp for now.
 	* java/net/URL.java (URL): Include protocol name in exception
 	message
 	when handler can't be found.

 Patches:
 http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/gcc/libjava/ChangeLog.diff?cvsroot=gcc&r1=1.923&r2=1.924