public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: c++/4423: Template operator overloading using member functions and bound friend templates fails
@ 2001-11-07 23:36 lerdsuwa
From: lerdsuwa @ 2001-11-07 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-gnats, gcc-prs, grendel, nobody

Synopsis: Template operator overloading using member functions and bound friend templates fails

State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: lerdsuwa
State-Changed-When: Fri Nov 16 23:41:29 2001
State-Changed-Why:
    Testcase missing.  Use PR4424 instead.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&pr=4423&database=gcc

* Re: c++/4423: Template operator overloading using member functions and bound friend templates fails
@ 2001-11-08  5:56 lerdsuwa
From: lerdsuwa @ 2001-11-08  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/4423; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: lerdsuwa@gcc.gnu.org
To: gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
  grendel@swcp.com, nobody@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: c++/4423: Template operator overloading using member functions and bound friend templates fails
Date: 17 Nov 2001 07:41:29 -0000

@ 2001-09-29 23:56 grendel
From: grendel @ 2001-09-29 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         4423
>Category:       c++
>Synopsis:       Template operator overloading using member functions and bound friend templates fails
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          rejects-legal
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Sat Sep 29 23:56:00 PDT 2001
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Bill Reynolds
>Release:        unknown-1.0
g++ cannot disambiguate two overloads of operator* if the arguments are templates and the class doing the overloading
uses both member fn overloads and friend template fn overloads.

Following code gives the compile error. This code compiles on
the Comeau online compiler, and as far as I can tell is
legal code.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
See (commented out) workaround in code.