public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: other/5022: gcc -lgcc only for gpl-compatible programs, others are suddenly illegal.
@ 2001-12-05 20:23 rodrigc
From: rodrigc @ 2001-12-05 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-gnats, gcc-prs, guidod-2001q3, nobody

Synopsis: gcc -lgcc only for gpl-compatible programs, others are suddenly illegal.

State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: rodrigc
State-Changed-When: Wed Dec  5 20:23:56 2001
State-Changed-Why:
    Read carefully in libgcc2.c:

    "In addition to the permissions in the GNU General Public License, the
    Free Software Foundation gives you unlimited permission to link the
    compiled version of this file into combinations with other programs,
    and to distribute those combinations without any restriction coming
    from the use of this file.  (The General Public License restrictions
    do apply in other respects; for example, they cover modification of
    the file, and distribution when not linked into a combine
    executable.)"

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&pr=5022&database=gcc

* Re: other/5022: gcc -lgcc only for gpl-compatible programs, others are suddenly illegal.
@ 2001-12-05 20:26 rodrigc
From: rodrigc @ 2001-12-05 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR other/5022; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: rodrigc@gcc.gnu.org
To: gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
  guidod-2001q3@gmx.de, nobody@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: other/5022: gcc -lgcc only for gpl-compatible programs, others are suddenly illegal.
Date: 6 Dec 2001 04:23:57 -0000

@ 2001-12-05 11:16 guidod-2001q3
From: guidod-2001q3 @ 2001-12-05 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         5022
>Category:       other
>Synopsis:       gcc -lgcc only for gpl-compatible programs, others are suddenly illegal.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          doc-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Wed Dec 05 11:16:01 PST 2001
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     guidod-2001q3@gmx.de
>Release:        gcc-3.x
The libgcc is GPL, always was, but it did always include
an exception clause that clarified that gcc-compiled
programs linking with libgcc do not need to get gpl-ed.

But this exception clause seems to be missing now.

I treat this as a mistake, and therefore a bug.
>How-To-Repeat:
read gcc/libgcc2.c
>Fix:
copy the text from 2.95x libgcc2.c to 3.x libgcc2.c, i.e.
add the following text right after the GPL header text:

/* As a special exception, if you link this library with other files,
   some of which are compiled with GCC, to produce an executable,
   this library does not by itself cause the resulting executable
   to be covered by the GNU General Public License.
   This exception does not however invalidate any other reasons why
   the executable file might be covered by the GNU General Public License.  */