public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: java/2631: Compilation-only ( -c ) of multiple source files into one output file is not possible.
@ 2002-02-07 17:30 tromey
From: tromey @ 2002-02-07 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: feliks, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, java-prs, nobody, tromey

Synopsis: Compilation-only ( -c ) of multiple source files into one output file is not possible.

Responsible-Changed-From-To: unassigned->tromey
Responsible-Changed-By: tromey
Responsible-Changed-When: Thu Feb  7 17:30:45 2002
Responsible-Changed-Why:
    I'm handling this.
State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: tromey
State-Changed-When: Thu Feb  7 17:30:45 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    I tried this with the current cvs trunk (aka gcj 3.1)
    and it worked fine for me.  So I believe it has been fixed
    since your report.  I'm closing the PR; if you try it
    and experience problems tell me and I will reopen the PR.
    Thanks for your report.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=2631

* java/2631: Compilation-only ( -c ) of multiple source files into one output file is not possible.
@ 2001-04-24 17:16 feliks
From: feliks @ 2001-04-24 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         2631
>Category:       java
>Synopsis:       Compilation-only ( -c ) of multiple source files into one output file is not possible.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Tue Apr 24 17:16:01 PDT 2001
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     feliks@solidum.com
>Release:        2.95.3
>Environment:

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcj_2.html#SEC4 states:

 You can specify more than one input file on the gcj
 command line, in which case they will all be compiled.
 If you specify a -o FILENAME option, all the input files
 will be compiled together, producing a single output file,
 named FILENAME. This is allowed even when using -S or -c,
 but not when using -C. (This is an extension beyond the
 what plain gcc allows.) (If more than one input file is
 specified, all must currently be .java files, though we
 hope to fix this.)

When you try to do this:

  gcj -c -o jlib.oo Main.java version.java

you get the message

 gcj: cannot specify -o with -c or -S and multiple compilations

and no output.