public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: bootstrap/5248: I can't get bootstrap to work.
@ 2002-02-17 19:16 rodrigc
From: rodrigc @ 2002-02-17 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, james.marselle, nobody

Synopsis: I can't get bootstrap to work.

State-Changed-From-To: feedback->closed
State-Changed-By: rodrigc
State-Changed-When: Sun Feb 17 19:15:59 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    Follow the platform specific instructions:
    http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#hppa*-hp-hpux11

    and use binutils instead of the native assembler.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=5248

* Re: bootstrap/5248: I can't get bootstrap to work.
@ 2002-01-03  8:16 Craig Rodrigues
From: Craig Rodrigues @ 2002-01-03  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/5248; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@mediaone.net>
To: James.Marselle@GFIGenfare.spx.com
Cc: rodrigc@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
   nobody@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: bootstrap/5248: I can't get bootstrap to work.
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 11:06:29 -0500

 On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 10:01:38AM -0600, James.Marselle@GFIGenfare.spx.com wrote:
 > By the way, I was getting a lot of the following warnings during the build:
 >
 > cc1: warning: -g is only supported when using GAS on this processor.
 > cc1: warning: -g option disabled.
 >
 > Would this indicate that I was using the wrong "as" or is this some other
 > problem?

 Yes that is the problem.
 --
 Craig Rodrigues
 http://www.gis.net/~craigr

* Re: bootstrap/5248: I can't get bootstrap to work.
@ 2002-01-03  8:06 James.Marselle
From: James.Marselle @ 2002-01-03  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/5248; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: James.Marselle@GFIGenfare.spx.com
To: rodrigc@gcc.gnu.org,
	gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org,
	gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
	james.marselle@gfigenfare.spx.com,
	nobody@gcc.gnu.org,
	gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 10:01:38 -0600

 Thanks for the quick reply.

 I downloaded binutils but I wonder if I was still picking up the HP "as"
 instead of the binutils one.  I'll modify my PATH and re-try.  One of my
 co-workers had downloaded gcc from the HP site, but when I tried to compile
 a simple C file with it, I got "as" errors, so I decided to try to build
 gcc from source.  This all started because I wanted to build "ddd" and it
 requires a C++ compiler (we have HP's ANSI C compiler).

 By the way, I was getting a lot of the following warnings during the build:

 cc1: warning: -g is only supported when using GAS on this processor.
 cc1: warning: -g option disabled.

 Would this indicate that I was using the wrong "as" or is this some other
 problem?

 Thanks again,

 Jim Marselle

 james.marselle@gfigenfare.spx.com

                     rodrigc@gcc.g
                     nu.org               To:     gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
                                          james.marselle@gfigenfare.spx.com, nobody@gcc.gnu.org
                     01/02/02             cc:
                     09:53 PM             Subject:     Re: bootstrap/5248: I can't get bootstrap to work.
                     Please
                     respond to
                     rodrigc;
                     Please
                     respond to
                     gcc-bugs;
                     Please
                     respond to
                     gcc-prs;
                     Please
                     respond to
                     james.marsell
                     e; Please
                     respond to
                     nobody;
                     Please
                     respond to
                     gcc-gnats

 Synopsis: I can't get bootstrap to work.

 State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
 State-Changed-By: rodrigc
 State-Changed-When: Wed Jan  2 19:53:34 2002
 State-Changed-Why:
     Did you follow the platform specific instructions for HPUX
     at:
     http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#hppa*-hp-hpux11

     You need to use binutils instead of the native assembler.

     If you go to: http://www.hp.com and search for gcc, you
     can find a distribution of gcc 3.0.2 compiled for HP-UX
     which you can try to bootstrap gcc 3.0.3 with.

@ 2002-01-02 19:53 rodrigc
From: rodrigc @ 2002-01-02 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, james.marselle, nobody

@ 2002-01-02  8:16 james.marselle
From: james.marselle @ 2002-01-02  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         5248
>Category:       bootstrap
>Synopsis:       I can't get bootstrap to work.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Wed Jan 02 08:16:02 PST 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Jim Marselle
>Release:        gcc 3.0.3
I sent this in a few days ago but used a text-based interface
which filled in my e-mail address derived from my machine name.
Unfortunately, I realized afterwards that I may not be able
to receive mail to that machine, so I'm resubmitting with a
different e-mail address.

I did a "make bootstrap" and I'm getting all kinds of
"differs" messages.  Here's a look at the output:

Bootstrap comparison failure!
alias.o differs
alloca.o differs
bb-reorder.o differs
.
.
.
java/verify.o differs
java/xref.o differs
java/zextract.o differs
make[1]: *** [compare] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/sw/gcc/gcc-3.0.3/gcc'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

Any ideas?  I can send the entire "make" output if you'd like.

Thanks,

Jim Marselle