public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: ada/5910: Ada libraries are not built by "make all" from top level.
@ 2002-03-10 11:06 Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2002-03-10 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR ada/5910; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
To: <zack@codesourcery.com>
Cc: <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>,  <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: ada/5910: Ada libraries are not built by "make all" from top
 level.
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 19:03:26 +0000 (GMT)

 On 10 Mar 2002 zack@codesourcery.com wrote:

 > "make gnatlib_and_tools".  This procedure is not documented
 > anywhere.

 It's documented in the obvious place, gcc/doc/install.texi.  However, it
 should be fixed so that "make bootstrap" at toplevel does it.  (And "make"
 and "make all" at toplevel should mean the same as "make bootstrap", so
 people don't need a special build procedure for GCC different from that
 for other GNU software, but that's a separate longstanding bug.)

 --
 Joseph S. Myers
 jsm28@cam.ac.uk

* Re: ada/5910: Ada libraries are not built by "make all" from top level.
@ 2002-03-11  2:06 Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2002-03-11  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR ada/5910; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com>
To: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: ada/5910: Ada libraries are not built by "make all" from top level.
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 02:04:16 -0800

 On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 07:03:26PM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
 > On 10 Mar 2002 zack@codesourcery.com wrote:
 >
 > > "make gnatlib_and_tools".  This procedure is not documented
 > > anywhere.
 >
 > It's documented in the obvious place, gcc/doc/install.texi.

 Sorry, it must have been added after the last time I checked.  Will
 fact check more thoroughly in the future.

 > (And "make" and "make all" at toplevel should mean the same as "make
 > bootstrap", so people don't need a special build procedure for GCC
 > different from that for other GNU software, but that's a separate
 > longstanding bug.)

 For the record, I agree with this.

 zw

* ada/5910: Ada libraries are not built by "make all" from top level.
@ 2002-03-10 10:36 zack
From: zack @ 2002-03-10 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         5910
>Category:       ada
>Synopsis:       Ada libraries are not built by "make all" from top level.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Sun Mar 10 10:36:01 PST 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     zack@codesourcery.com
>Release:        3.1 20020308 (prerelease)
>Environment:

The Ada libraries and utilities do not get built as part
of a normal bootstrap or cross-compiler build.  One must
enter the gcc subdirectory and perform
"make gnatlib_and_tools".  This procedure is not documented
anywhere.

When Ada is among the selected languages, the top-level
Makefile should recognize gnatlib_and_tools as a build
target, and should include that target in the set of
target libraries built by make all/make bootstrap.