public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* RE: libstdc++/4455: HP-UX - libstdc++.sl depends on libgcc.a
@ 2002-03-12  1:16 Keegan, David
From: Keegan, David @ 2002-03-12  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR libstdc++/4455; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Keegan, David" <David.Keegan@marconi.com>
To: pme@gcc.gnu.org, david.keegan@marconi.com, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org,
        gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: RE: libstdc++/4455: HP-UX - libstdc++.sl depends on libgcc.a
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 04:08:48 -0500

 Hi,

 Thanks for responding. Yes, I still have the problem. I was able to work
 around it as described in my submission. I just don't have the time to work
 on it myself at the moment.

 Regards,
 David.

 [David Keegan Lead Engineer]
 [Marconi West Pier Dun Laoghaire]
 [353-1-6638501]

@ 2002-03-11 13:49 pme
From: pme @ 2002-03-11 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: david.keegan, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody

@ 2001-10-03  7:16 david.keegan
From: david.keegan @ 2001-10-03  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         4455
>Category:       libstdc++
>Synopsis:       HP-UX - libstdc++.sl depends on libgcc.a
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Wed Oct 03 07:16:01 PDT 2001
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     David Keegan
>Release:        gcc-3.0.1
The shared version of libstdc++ that is built on
HP-UX 11.00 with gcc-3.0.1/binutils-2.11.2 has
several unresolved symbols (_Unwind_SjLj_Register etc)
that would have been resolved by linking it with
libgcc.a.

When attempting to link my own shared library
containing C++ code these symbols remain unresolved
even though -lgcc is in the link command both before
and after -lstdc++ and even if the +n option is passed
to the HP-UX linker. There are no warnings when my
shared library is being linked, but when one of its
functions is called it aborts due to the unresolved
symbols in libstdc++.

I can work around this by using the -Fl link option to
force all of libgcc.a into my shared library, but it is
hardly an acceptable solution.

Should libstdc++.sl not have been linked against libgcc.a
in the first place to resolve these symbols? How can I
make this happen?
>How-To-Repeat:
Build a shared library with C++ code containing
new char[n]/delete[] and link with -lstdc++ option.
>Fix:
Use -Wl,-Fl,<path>/libgcc.a to force in all of libgcc.a
when linking the shared library.