public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: c++/2350: No warning for referencing a temporary
@ 2002-04-01 23:58 rth
From: rth @ 2002-04-01 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, hankinsr, nobody

Old Synopsis: constant propagation problem accross function call
New Synopsis: No warning for referencing a temporary

State-Changed-From-To: open->analyzed
State-Changed-By: rth
State-Changed-When: Mon Apr  1 23:58:06 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    Not a bug.  The cast converts your lvalue to an rvalue, which
    leads you referencing a temporary rather than the variable
    that you intended.

    It would be Really Nice if -Wall would diagnose this, so I'm
    leaving the PR open, and re-categorizing it.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=2350

* Re: c++/2350: No warning for referencing a temporary
@ 2002-04-02  0:56 Puneet Singh
From: Puneet Singh @ 2002-04-02  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/2350; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Puneet=20Singh?= <puneet762k1@yahoo.co.in>
To: rth@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
  hankinsr@umich.edu, nobody@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: c++/2350: No warning for referencing a temporary
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 09:46:33 +0100 (BST)

 Hi
 How to unsubscribe from the list
 greetings
 Puneet

  --- rth@gcc.gnu.org wrote: > Old Synopsis: constant
 propagation problem accross
 > function call
 > New Synopsis: No warning for referencing a temporary
 >
 > State-Changed-From-To: open->analyzed
 > State-Changed-By: rth
 > State-Changed-When: Mon Apr  1 23:58:06 2002
 > State-Changed-Why:
 >     Not a bug.  The cast converts your lvalue to an
 > rvalue, which
 >     leads you referencing a temporary rather than
 > the variable
 >     that you intended.
 >
 >     It would be Really Nice if -Wall would diagnose
 > this, so I'm
 >     leaving the PR open, and re-categorizing it.

 http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=2350

 For live cricket scores download  Yahoo! Score Tracker
  at: http://in.sports.yahoo.com/cricket/tracker.html